Enroll in high school
As a lower secondary school, the secondary school comprises grades 5 to 10. It can be run with a grammar school or without a grammar school offer. Lessons can be taught according to the school's decision within the framework of the specifications
- year-by-year (in grades 5 and 6),
- year-related in connection with subject performance differentiation on two or three requirement levels in the core subjects German, mathematics and English or
- predominantly school-related (more than 50% of the lessons are school-related)
can be granted.
The grammar school offer of a secondary school should be predominantly school-related from the 7th grade and must be predominantly school-related from the 9th grade onwards.
Year-related teaching means that pupils are taught together in the classroom. Predominantly school-related teaching means that the pupils can be taught in separate school branches (Hauptschule branch, Realschule branch, possibly Gymnasium branch) or that in the non-grammar school offer the lessons are predominantly school-related.
It is the aim of the secondary school to provide pupils with a basic, extended or in-depth general education and to enable them to develop an individual focus according to their abilities and inclinations. The secondary school strengthens basic skills, independent learning and promotes social learning in the classroom as well as through a common school life. At the secondary school, the pupils should acquire the qualifications with which they can continue their education both professionally and in terms of study.
In the 9th and 10th grades, the secondary school offers a practical vocational focus with measures for career orientation and vocational training, the profiles of foreign languages, economics, technology as well as health and social affairs, as well as preparation for attending the upper secondary school in the grammar school programme.
At the end of the 9th grade, the secondary school leaving certificate can be obtained at the secondary school.
At the end of the 10th grade, the following qualifications can be obtained:
- Secondary school leaving certificate I - Secondary school leaving certificate
- Secondary school leaving certificate I - Realschulabschluss
- Extended lower secondary school leaving certificate, which entitles the holder to attend the upper secondary school at a grammar school, at a comprehensive school or to attend a vocational grammar school at a vocational school.
A secondary school can be run as an open, partially bound and fully bound all-day school.
Registration at a secondary school must be submitted directly to the secondary school that the child is to attend. The schools have fixed registration dates for this. In exceptional cases (e.g. Corona pandemic), the documents may also be sent to the school by post. Registration in the current school year in the event of a change of school type usually takes place at the end of the semester (pedagogical reasons).
Who should I contact?
If you have any individual questions, please contact the school responsible for you.
The secondary school at which you would like to register your child is responsible.
- The pupil must have successfully completed the 4th grade (exception: the child has already repeated the 4th grade. Then it moves up in vol. 5).
- The parents or guardians must have enrolled their child in high school.
Which documents are required?
- Registration form of the receiving high school. You can pick up the form at the school beforehand or you will receive it directly when you come to register. As a rule, the form can also be downloaded from the school's homepage or from the school authority.
- Certificate from the 1st half of the 4th year on the registration date and then the certificate from the 2nd half of the 4th year.
- Vaccination certificate or medical certificate (measles protection)
- If applicable, notification of special educational needs
after consultation with the school:
- If applicable, minutes of the counselling sessions in the primary school (non-compulsory participation in discussions in the primary school, i.e. bring with you if necessary)
- If applicable, passport photo of the child for the school file
- If applicable, swimming badges
- If applicable, birth certificate of the child
- If applicable, registration certificate
- If applicable, certificate of custody
- If applicable, power of attorney of one legal guardian for the other
What are the fees?
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- Registration period: at the earliest 10 weeks and at the latest 5 weeks before the start of the summer holiday
- The school authorities may determine a staggering of the registration procedure for the schools in their area of responsibility.
No processing time, registration takes place directly at the school.
Applications / forms
- The schools provide the necessary registration forms.
- Online procedure possible: possible if necessary – e.g.: due to the pandemic (e.g. download of registration documents)
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: basically yes
This administrative service does not constitute an administrative act. For this reason, there is no legal remedy.
What else should I know?
The transition from another type of secondary school to secondary school (e.g. secondary school to secondary school, grammar school to secondary school, etc.) is not part of the service description.
The admission of a pupil to the secondary school after moving (e.g. after a change of federal state or after a change of catchment area) is not part of the service description.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Culture
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.