License plate Allocation exempt from tax
Certain vehicles exempt from motor vehicle tax have license plates with green lettering and green border on a white background. This includes vehicles belonging to non-profit organisations, agricultural and forestry vehicles and certain trailers.
The application for a green number plate must be submitted to the competent authority when the vehicle is registered. The green license plate remains on the vehicle until it is decommissioned (deregistration) or re-registered in another registration district.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the district and the independent city in which you have your residence.
The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, it is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.
Which documents are required?
- valid identity card or passport with current confirmation of registration – not older than 3 months
- Registration certificate Part I
- Registration certificate Part II
- valid test report of the last main inspection (HU)
- Previous registration plates (not for decommissionedvehicles)
- Insurance confirmation according to § 23 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV)
- If applicable, reservation confirmation for the desired license plate
in the case of execution by third parties additionally:
- informal, written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered
for companies additionally:
- Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
- the identity papers of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) and their power of attorney
for underage vehicle owners additionally:
- Declaration of consent and signature of both parents
- their identity cards
if the vehicle was immobilized or unloaded before 1 October 2005:
- Deregistration certificate
In individual cases, the documents may have to be supplemented by further evidence, especially because of the intended tax exemption. For more information, please contact the competent authority.
What are the fees?
Fees apply. Please contact the relevant authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.
Applications / forms
If an application form is necessary, it can be obtained in advance from the competent office and completed at home. Depending on the offer of the competent body, the application can also be submitted as an online service via the Internet.
What else should I know?
If the requirements for a green number plate are no longer met, a motor vehicle tax may be determined by the main customs office. From this point on, the green license plate is invalid and must be changed to black.
If you would like to reserve a desired number plate, this can be done in person, in writing or by telephone as well as an online service via the Internet, depending on the offer of the responsible authority, before the new registration.
Technically approved by
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.