License plates Allocation of classic car license plates (older than 30 years)
For vehicles that were first registered for traffic at least 30 years ago, a red license plate (red 07 license plate) can be applied for. The day of the first approval is decisive. Vested rights are protected for number plates issued up to 28 February 2007 whose (possibly three-year) limitation expires before the vehicle in question is 30 years old.
The red 07 license plate is an alternative to the H license plate and is especially worthwhile when owning several vintage vehicles. With the issued certificate, the vehicles registered under the 07 number can be used as often as desired. The number of the license plate begins with "07".
Upon receipt of the application, it is checked whether the applicant is personally reliable. For this purpose, the authority responsible for the applicant and the competent police authority shall be consulted. The competent authority shall issue a vehicle registration book and a special vehicle registration document for each vehicle, even if only a red number plate is requested. This means that only one of these vehicles is permitted for one license plate (pair) and several vehicles. Any use of the number plate must be proven in the vehicle registration book and with a journey record book for the respective vehicle.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the district and the independent city in which you have your residence.
The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, it is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.
- Vehicle was first registered at least 30 years ago
- Existence of an expert opinion from an officially recognised expert, an examiner for motor vehicle traffic or a test engineer from an officially recognised monitoring organisation in accordance with § 23 of the Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO)
- Presence of a good, largely original condition of the vehicle
The requirements for obtaining a red classic car license plate may also differ in individual cases. Please inquire with the office responsible for you.
Which documents are required?
- Current identity card or passport with confirmation of registration – not older than 3 months
Registration certificate Part II
If there is no registration certificate Part II, the data sheet of a technical inspection body and a proof of ownership (purchase contract) must be submitted.
List of vehicles for which a red number plate is requested
Expert opinion according to § 23 Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO) on the classification of the vehicle(s) as classic cars
Information from the Federal Central Register of Certificate of Conduct (document type O)
Insurance confirmation for red license plates
Confirmation that you want to participate in classic car events and use the vehicles there
SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
a certificate stating that the Hauptzollamt renounces the direct debit authorisation, or
proof of exemption
in the case of execution by third parties additionally:
- informal, written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered
What are the fees?
Tax: 46,02 EURPayment in advance: Nofor motorcycles
Tax: 191,73 EURPayment in advance: Nofor all other vehicles
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines to be observed.
What else should I know?
You may use this mark only in the following cases:
- Participation in events that serve the presentation of vintage vehicles and the "care of the motor vehicle technical cultural heritage", as well as for the arrivals and departures to such events
- Test drives, test drives and transfer drives
- Journeys for the purpose of maintenance and repair of vehicles
Technically approved by
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.