Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Report sale of the vehicle

If there is a change in the person of the owner, the previous keeper or owner must immediately notify the competent registration authority for the purpose of changing the vehicle registers.

Depending on the offer of the licensing authority, a corresponding form is available for download.

There is no need for notification if the acquirer has already notified the licensing authority of the changes. Immediately after the change of owner, the acquirer must inform the registration authority responsible for his place of residence or registered office of the new owner data and the vehicle data and, on request, prove them, apply for the issue of a new registration certificate Part I on presentation of proof of insurance and submit the registration certificate Part II for amendment (transfer).

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district and the independent city in which you have your residence.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, it is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.

Which documents are required?

The notification must contain the registration number of the vehicle, surname, forenames and full address of the purchaser and confirmation that the registration certificate has been issued.

What are the fees?

Fee: free of charge

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The sale of a vehicle must be reported immediately in writing to the registration authority.

Legal basis

Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)


As a rule, the legal remedy is to bring an action.

Section 58 (1) of the Code of Administrative Court Procedure (VwGO)

If the previous keeper or owner does not comply with his notification obligation or if the vehicle is not immediately re-registered or put out of service, or if the data provided by the new keeper or owner prove to be incorrect, the registration authority may request the registration certificate in the Verkehrsblatt for submission to it with a period of four weeks. If the ban expires unsuccessfully, the registration of the vehicle ends. The registration authority shall notify the previous keeper or owner of the end of the authorisation.

It is highly recommended to check the buyer's details on the basis of an identity card or passport. The seller remains the owner of the vehicle even after the sale until it has been transferred to a new owner or put out of service by him.

Have the buyer confirm receipt of the documents handed over (e.g. registration certificate Part I (vehicle registration document), registration certificate Part II (vehicle registration document), certificate of technical inspections carried out (HU, AU, possibly also SP) as well as other documents such as installation acceptances, exemptions, etc. in writing.

When selling abroad, you should definitely put the vehicle out of service before selling it so that your owner obligations (motor vehicle liability insurance, motor vehicle tax) are terminated. A later decommissioning is lengthy and expensive because of the fact that the vehicle documents are usually no longer available.

It is also possible for the purchaser to take the vehicle abroad in a way other than in the registered condition (e.g. export license plate, transport vehicle and sometimes even with short-term license plates).

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)