Registration of a used motor vehicle from a non-EU country (abroad)
Registration of a vehicle that has already been registered abroad (non-EU country) is possible upon application. Authorisation shall be granted by the competent licensing authority. If you buy a used vehicle abroad or move to Germany with a vehicle registered abroad, you must apply for registration for this vehicle.
The registration of a vehicle that was previously registered abroad is more complex compared to the new registration or re-registration, as more documents are required.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.
The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.
Which documents are required?
- Application forms, if any, completed
- valid identity document (identity card or passport of the vehicle owner; upon presentation of the passport additionally a current registration certificate)
- possibly foreign vehicle documents,
- foreign license plates (if available)
- Purchase contract/invoice
- Expert opinion according to § 21 StVZO or CoC papers (incl. emission class / emission key) (the submission of a COC or a data confirmation by the manufacturer is only sufficient if the vehicle documents of the third country show that the EC type approval number has been recognized for the registration there)
- electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
- Bank details for vehicle tax (SEPA direct debit mandate)
- Proof of examination according to § 29 of the Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (usually main and exhaust gas inspection)
- Customs clearance certificate/proof of customs clearance
For further information, please contact your local licensing authority.
If applicable, further documents, e.g.:
- in the case of representation by a third party: your written power of attorney and your identity document (original); the authorised representative himself must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport.
- in the case of admission to minors: the written declaration of consent of the legal guardian and their identity cards (original); if applicable, a certificate of sole custody (so-called "negative certificate") for single parents
What are the fees?
The fee is charged in accordance with the scale of charges for road transport measures (GebOSt). Their amount depends on various factors. Information can be obtained in individual cases from the locally competent licensing authority.
Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)
Scale of charges for road transport measures (GebOSt)
As a rule, the legal remedy is to bring an action.
What else should I know?
If there are motor vehicle tax arrears or if you have arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration procedures, the registration authority will refuse registration until you have paid them.
If someone registers your vehicle for you, the authorized representative must provide a written power of attorney from you. This must also contain a declaration of consent that the licensing authority may inform the authorised representative about these possibly outstanding fees and expenses.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.