Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Registration of a used motor vehicle from a non-EU country (abroad)

Registration of a vehicle that has already been registered abroad (non-EU country) is possible upon application. Authorisation shall be granted by the competent licensing authority. If you buy a used vehicle abroad or move to Germany with a vehicle registered abroad, you must apply for registration for this vehicle.
The registration of a vehicle that was previously registered abroad is more complex compared to the new registration or re-registration, as more documents are required.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.

Which documents are required?

  • Application forms, if any, completed
  • valid identity document (identity card or passport of the vehicle owner; upon presentation of the passport additionally a current registration certificate)
  • possibly foreign vehicle documents,
  • foreign license plates (if available)
  • Purchase contract/invoice
  • Expert opinion according to § 21 StVZO or CoC papers (incl. emission class / emission key) (the submission of a COC or a data confirmation by the manufacturer is only sufficient if the vehicle documents of the third country show that the EC type approval number has been recognized for the registration there)
  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • Bank details for vehicle tax (SEPA direct debit mandate)
  • Proof of examination according to § 29 of the Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (usually main and exhaust gas inspection)
  • Customs clearance certificate/proof of customs clearance

For further information, please contact your local licensing authority.

If applicable, further documents, e.g.:

  • in the case of representation by a third party: your written power of attorney and your identity document (original); the authorised representative himself must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport.
  • in the case of admission to minors: the written declaration of consent of the legal guardian and their identity cards (original); if applicable, a certificate of sole custody (so-called "negative certificate") for single parents

What are the fees?

The fee is charged in accordance with the scale of charges for road transport measures (GebOSt). Their amount depends on various factors. Information can be obtained in individual cases from the locally competent licensing authority.

Legal basis

Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)

Scale of charges for road transport measures (GebOSt)


As a rule, the legal remedy is to bring an action.

Section 58 (1) of the Code of Administrative Court Procedure (VwGO)

What else should I know?

If there are motor vehicle tax arrears or if you have arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration procedures, the registration authority will refuse registration until you have paid them.
If someone registers your vehicle for you, the authorized representative must provide a written power of attorney from you. This must also contain a declaration of consent that the licensing authority may inform the authorised representative about these possibly outstanding fees and expenses.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)