New vehicle registration from non-EU country
Vehicles may only be put into service on public roads if they are registered for traffic. It is therefore necessary to apply for the allocation of a registration plate for each vehicle. New vehicles from a non-EU country can be registered in Germany under certain conditions.
The application for admission must be submitted by the holder or a person authorised in writing. If the competent body requires an application form, it can be obtained in advance from the competent body.
If there is no European type approval or individual approval for the vehicle, a full acceptance according to § 21 Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO) or an individual approval according to § 13 EC Vehicle Approval Regulation (EG-FGV) is required. The invoice to be submitted must show that it is a new vehicle.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city or with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.
The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.
Admission is granted
- only to the place of residence – in the case of several dwellings the main residence – or the registered office/branch of the applicant.
- as a company vehicle, if the company is registered in the German commercial register or trade register .
Which documents are required?
- Registration certificate Part II (if available)
- Original data confirmation of the manufacturer company according to § 2 paragraph 8 Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV), Certificate of Conformity (COC) or individual approval according to § 13 EC Vehicle Approval Regulation (EG-FGV)
- electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) according to § 23 FZV
- Purchase contract/invoice for the new vehicle
- Vehicle documents or foreign registration certificates (if available)
- Identity card or passport with confirmation of registration – not older than 3 months
- Driving licence and similar documents are not accepted
- SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
- This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
- Proof of customs clearance according to § 6 paragraph 6 FZV
in the case of execution by third parties additionally:
- informal, written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered
for companies additionally:
- Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
- the identity papers of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) and their power of attorney
for clubs additionally:
- Excerpt from the register of associations
- Identification of the responsible, authorized signatory person (board of directors) and their power of attorney
for underage vehicle owners additionally:
- Declaration of consent and signature of both parents
- their identity cards
What are the fees?
Fees apply. Please contact the relevant authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines to be observed.
What else should I know?
Before purchasing, it is recommended to check with the manufacturer or with an officially recognised expert or inspector whether the vehicle meets the emission class required for registration.
Information for the reservation of a desired license plate is contained in the service "License plate reservation desired license plate".
Technically approved by
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.