Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

New registration of a motor vehicle from an EU country

Vehicles may only be put into service on public roads if they are registered for traffic. In the case of a new vehicle with general type-approval or EC type-approval, you must apply for the allocation of a registration number.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.

Which documents are required?

  • Application forms, if any, completed
  • valid identity document (identity card or passport of the vehicle owner; upon presentation of the passport additionally a current registration certificate)
  • possibly foreign vehicle documents, otherwise purchase contract or import certificate
  • CoC papers (incl. emission class / emission key) or if not available: expert opinion according to §13 EG-FGV or expert opinion according to § 21 StVZO
  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • Bank details for vehicle tax (SEPA direct debit mandate)

For further information, please contact your local licensing authority.

  • if applicable, e.g. additional evidence of:
    • Name and address of the applicant and the tax office responsible for him pursuant to § 21 of the Tax Code
    • Name and address of supplier
    • Date of first commissioning
    • Mileage on the day of delivery
    • Vehicle type, vehicle manufacturer (make), vehicle type and vehicle identification number
    • Use
    • in the case of representation by a third party: your written power of attorney and your identity document (original); the authorised representative himself must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport.
    • in the case of admission to minors: the written declaration of consent of the legal guardian and their identity cards (original); if applicable, a certificate of sole custody (so-called "negative certificate") for single parents

What are the fees?

The fee is charged in accordance with the scale of charges for road transport measures (GebOSt). Their amount depends on various factors. Information can be obtained in individual cases from the locally competent licensing authority.

Legal basis

Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)

Scale of charges for road transport measures (GebOSt)


As a rule, the legal remedy is to bring an action.

Section 58 (1) of the Code of Administrative Court Procedure (VwGO)

What else should I know?

Vehicles whose first registration in another EU Member State was not more than 6 months ago or whose previous mileage is less than 6,000 km are considered new vehicles according to § 1b UStG.

If there are motor vehicle tax arrears or if you have arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration procedures, the registration authority will refuse registration until you have paid them.
If someone registers your vehicle for you, the authorized representative must provide a written power of attorney from you. This must also contain a declaration of consent that the licensing authority may inform the authorised representative about these possibly outstanding fees and expenses.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)