Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Registration for new vehicle

Vehicles may only be used on public roads if they are approved for traffic. Registration is granted by the registration authority upon application if the vehicle corresponds to an approved type or if an individual licence has been granted and there is motor vehicle liability insurance. Registration is effected by the issuance of a registration number and the issuance of a registration certificate.

The registration of a brand-new vehicle is referred to as initial registration.

Process flow

You can submit the application for admission in person or appoint a representative with your written power of attorney.

If an application form is necessary, you can obtain it in advance from the licensing authority and fill it out at home. Depending on the offer of your licensing authority, a download form or an online service is available via the Internet.

If you would like to reserve a license plate of your choice, this can be done in person, in writing and/or by telephone as well as as an online service via the Internet, depending on the offer of the registration authority, even before the new registration.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the independent city and the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.

In this case, the main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal entities, this is the registered office of the principal place of business or the seat of the branch.

Which documents are required?

  • Completed application forms, if applicable
  • Valid identification document (identity card or passport of the vehicle owner; if the passport is presented, also a current registration certificate)
  • Registration certificate Part II (vehicle registration document) or operating permit (for vehicles without registration)
  • the EC Certificate of Conformity (CoC)
  • Proof of ownership (purchase contract or invoice)
  • Confirmation of insurance (eVB number)
  • Bank details for vehicle tax (SEPA direct debit mandate)

Further information can be obtained from your local licensing authority.

If necessary, e.g. additionally, the following must be submitted:

  • if represented by a third party:
    Your written power of attorney and your identity document (original); the authorised representative must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport.
  • if admitted to minors:
    the written declaration of consent of the legal guardians and their identity cards (in the original); If applicable, a certificate of sole custody (so-called "negative certificate") for single parents
  • In the event of modifications to the vehicle: an expert opinion in accordance with § 21 StVZO (Road Traffic Licensing Regulations, full acceptance). For this purpose, an operating permit must be applied for separately)

What are the fees?

The fee is levied in accordance with the Schedule of Fees for Road Traffic Measures (GebOSt). Their amount depends on various factors. In individual cases, information can be obtained from the locally competent licensing authority.

The cost of the license plates is not included in the fees.


According to the Code of Administrative Procedure, the time limit for an appeal or other remedy begins to run only if the party concerned has been informed, in writing or electronically, of the appeal, the administrative authority or court before which the appeal is to be lodged, the registered office and the time limit to be observed.

As a rule, the legal remedy is to bring an action.

Section 58 (1) of the Code of Administrative Court Procedure (VwGO)

What else should I know?

If you have any questions, please contact your local licensing authority.

Since 01.10.2019, it has been possible for private individuals to carry out new registrations online. Please note that other requirements (§ 15i f. FZV) must be fulfilled here.

If there are vehicle tax arrears or if you have arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration procedures, the registration authority will refuse registration until you have paid them.
If someone registers your vehicle on your behalf, the authorised representative must provide a written power of attorney from you. This must also include a declaration of consent for the licensing authority to inform the authorised representative of any arrears of fees and expenses.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)