Motor vehicle registration again
A vehicle that has been taken out of service may be re-registered. At the same time, it is possible to relabel it to a desired license plate.
The application for re-admission must be submitted by the holder or a person authorised in writing.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.
The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.
Admission only to the keeper in the old registration district
Which documents are required?
Current identity card or passport with registration certificate – not older than 3 months
- Proof of the right of disposal of the holder to be registered – unless this results from one of the following documents:
- Registration certificate Part I and Registration certificate Part II
- Electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) according to § 23 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV)
- SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
- This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
- a certificate stating that the Hauptzollamt waives the collection of vehicle tax, or
- Proof of exemption
- still existing license plates
- Re-registration of a vehicle without modifications
- Proof of a valid main inspection (HU)
- Re-registration of a vehicle with modifications
- Expert opinion according to § 19 Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO)
in the case of execution by third parties additionally:
- informal, written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered
for companies additionally:
- Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
- the identity papers of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) and their power of attorney
for clubs additionally:
- Excerpt from the register of associations
- Identification of the responsible, authorized signatory person (board of directors) and their power of attorney
for underage vehicle owners additionally:
- Declaration of consent and signature of both parents
- their identity cards
for civil-law companies in addition:
- Complete overview of the shareholders – usually shareholders' agreement
- Power of attorney and declaration to which natural person the admission is to be granted – confirmed by all partners by signature
What are the fees?
Fees apply. Please contact the relevant authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.
Applications / forms
If an application form is necessary, it can be obtained in advance from the competent authority.
What else should I know?
Journeys relating to registration may be carried out with unstamped registration plates in the registration district shown on the registration plate and in the adjacent district, provided that the competent authority has allocated or reserved the registration number in advance and the journeys are covered by the insurance against civil liability in respect of the use of motor vehicles. The number plates must be affixed to the vehicle. The completed insurance confirmation must be carried.
If you want a desired number plate, the registration or reservation, depending on the offer of the responsible body, can be made in person, in writing or by telephone as well as as an online service via the Internet before re-registration.
Technically approved by
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.