Vehicle registration in case of transfer to another owner within the registration district
If you wish to register a vehicle for a new owner in the registration district of your place of residence or permanent establishment, you must apply for a transfer at the competent authority of your registration district.
The application can be made in person or through an authorized person.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.
The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.
Which documents are required?
valid identity card or passport with registration certificate from the registration authority of your place of residence – not older than 3 months
Registration certificate Part II or, in the case of vehicles exempt from registration but subject to marking, the type-approval
Registration certificate Part I or deregistration certificate
Electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) according to § 23 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV)
Test report of the last valid main inspection (HU)
not applicable for vehicles for which the first general inspection was not yet due, or
in the case of vehicles for which the due date of the next main inspection is apparent to the registration authority from another official document
- SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
- This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
- a certificate stating that the Hauptzollamt renounces the direct debit mandate, or
- Proof of exemption
- previous license plate(s)
in the case of execution by third parties additionally:
- informal, written power of attorney from the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered.
for companies additionally:
- Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
- the identity papers of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) and their power of attorney
for clubs additionally:
- Excerpt from the register of associations
- Identification of the responsible, authorized signatory person (board of directors) and their power of attorney
for underage vehicle owners additionally:
- Declaration of consent and signature of both parents
- their identity cards
- Complete overview of the shareholders – usually shareholders' agreement
- Power of attorney and declaration to which natural person the admission is to be granted – confirmed by all partners by signature
What are the fees?
Fees apply. Please contact the relevant authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines to be observed.
What else should I know?
Since 01 October 2005 there are new vehicle documents, registration certificate part I and registration certificate II. These are uniform in the European Union (EU). An exchange by the vehicle owner is not required. The existing vehicle documents are exchanged for the new documents (Parts I and II) as soon as the competent authority issues new vehicle documents.
Technically approved by
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.