Driving licence: replacement
If your driver's license
- has been lost or lost,
- has been stolen,
- has become unusable because it has become illegible, your appearance has changed or there are other reasons,
you need a new driver's license.
A new driving licence is not required in the event of a change of name as a result of marriage or other circumstances, provided that the name shown on the driving licence is visible on the identity card.
- normal residence of the applicant in the area of responsibility of the issuing authority
- Possession of a driving licence
The application for a replacement driving licence must be submitted in writing by the applicant in person to the competent authority.
The collection of the requested driving licence can also be carried out by a person authorised in writing.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the administrative district and the independent city in which you have your residence.
Which documents are required?
- a photograph (biometric) that complies with the provisions of the Passport Ordinance of 19 October 2007 (Federal Law Gazette I p. 2007, 2386)
- a copy of the index card issued by the issuing authority if the driving licence was issued before 1.1.1999
- valid identity card or passport with current registration certificate or valid passport replacement
as well as
- in case of loss: submission or acceptance of an affidavit about the whereabouts of the driver's license (this is done during the interview)
- in case of theft: theft report from the responsible police station (if the theft took place abroad, a translation is required)
- in case of unusability: old driving licence
- in case of name change: old driver's license and a certificate of name change, if the new name is not yet entered in the identity card and passport
What are the fees?
The fees are determined by the respective authority in accordance with its scale of fees.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
If the driving licence is lost, you should report this immediately to the competent authority.
Text checked by the Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport; updated 29.06.2009
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.