Driving licence: Issuance - International driving licence
International driving licences are required for temporary stays in a country that does not belong to the EU. The international driving licence is only a translation of the national EU driving licence and is therefore only valid in conjunction with it.
You must submit the application in person and in writing.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the district and the district-free city in which you have your residence.
- Normal residence of the applicant must be in the Federal Republic of Germany and in the area of responsibility of the issuing authority
- be at least 18 years of age
- Possession of an EU card driving licence or an EU/EEA driving licence
Which documents are required?
- Identity card/passport with registration certificate
- Presentation of the card driving licence
- a photograph (biometric) that complies with the provisions of the Passport Ordinance of 19 October 2007 (Federal Law Gazette I p. 2007, 2386)
What are the fees?
The fees are determined by the respective authority according to your schedule of fees.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
The international driver's license is usually valid for 3 years.
What else should I know?
For more information, please contact your driving licence authority.
Up-to-date information on the country in which an international driving licence is required can be obtained from the automobile clubs.
Text checked by the Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport; updated 29.06.2009
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.