Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

License plate Allocation Export plates

If a vehicle not previously registered or previously registered in the Federal Republic of Germany, possibly taken out of service, is to be exported abroad under its own power, an export license plate is required.

Process flow

The application for an export license plate must be made in person or by a person authorised in writing.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district and the independent city in which you have your residence.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, it is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.

Which documents are required?

  • valid identity card or passport with current confirmation of registration not older than 3 months or foreign passport
  • Registration certificate Part II
  • Registration certificate Part I
  • Certificate of insurance for export vehicles
  • Test report on the last (still valid) main inspection (HU)
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
    • This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
    • Alternative:
      • a certificate stating that the Hauptzollamt waives the collection of vehicle tax, or
      • Proof of exemption
  • the motor vehicle tax has already been paid
    • Proof of payment of the motor vehicle tax by means of a tax assessment notice issued by the competent main customs office

in the case of execution by third parties additionally:

  • informal, written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered

for companies additionally:

  • Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
  • the identity papers of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) and their power of attorney
in addition, for registered vehicles:
  • License plates
  • Registration certificate Part I
in addition, in the case of vehicles decommissioned:
  • Confirmation of deregistration (if closed by 30 September 2005)
  • Vehicle registration document or registration certificate Part I endorsing the decommissioning

What are the fees?

Fees may apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Applications / forms

If an application form is necessary, it can be obtained in advance from the competent office and completed at home. Depending on the offer of the competent body, the application can also be submitted as an online service via the Internet.

What else should I know?

The required license plates can be produced after the application has been submitted. This can be entrusted to a private provider located close to the competent authority. The cost of the signs is not included in the fees.

Due to an amendment to the Motor Vehicle Tax Act, there has been a tax liability on export license plates since 1 July 2010.

Technically approved by

AG Kommunenredaktion


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)