Information for driver assistance systems
As a rule, one or more driver assistance systems are already installed in most (new) vehicles. These can be, for example:
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
- Brake Assist (BAS)
They support and relieve you as a driver in critical traffic situations and support you in driving safely.
If you want to know which driver assistance systems are installed in your car, you can check the vehicle registration document. If you buy a vehicle with an already installed driver assistance system, the installation of the driver assistance system has normally already been approved. If the driver assistant was installed after the vehicle was first registered, then you should have the copy of the operating permit for the vehicle part or the proof of change acceptance handed over to you at the time of purchase.
You can also retrofit your car yourself with driver assistance systems. With the subsequent installation of the assistance system, you make a technical change to your car. As a result, the operating license of your vehicle may expire.
The operating permit expires, for example, if
- the type of vehicle approved in the type-approval is modified,
- a danger to road users is to be expected or
- the exhaust gas or noise behaviour is deteriorated.
In any case, you should be aware of the
- at your workshop,
- at the TÜV or
- your vehicle registration office.
inquire whether the general type-approval for your vehicle remains in force or expires.
In order to be allowed to continue driving after installing a driver assistance system, you should make sure that
- there is an operating approval for vehicle parts for the driver assistance system,
- the installation instructions of the type-approval of the driver assistance system are observed during installation, and
- a modification acceptance is carried out by a technical inspection body or a technical service if the installation instructions so require.
To do this, you can contact these technical inspection centres:
Please report the changes made to your vehicle to your vehicle registration office so that they can be noted in your vehicle registration document.
If you have retrofitted your car with a driver assistance system, you should always carry all documents for installation in your vehicle with you. You must present them to the police at a traffic check. The installation documents include:
- the general operating permit for the driver assistance system, and
- the opinion of the necessary modification acceptance by the technical inspection body.
Which documents are required?
What are the fees?
Please inquire directly at the responsible technical inspection centre for the costs of any necessary change acceptance.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Applications / forms
What else should I know?
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI)
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.