The birth of a child must be notified to the competent authority in whose jurisdiction it was born.
In the case of births in clinics or other obstetric facilities, the notification is made by them.
Further provisions apply to the notification of a home birth .
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the municipality, the joint municipality and the city in whose area of responsibility the child was born. As a rule, this task is incumbent on the registry office.
Which documents are required?
- in the case of parents who are married to each other
- Birth certificaten
- marriage certificate or a certified copy from the marriage register,
- in the case of parents who are not married to each other
- Mother's birth certificate
- if paternity has already been acknowledged:
- Declarations on acknowledgment of paternity
- Father's birth certificate
- if applicable, the declarations of custody
- Identity card, passport or a recognized passport replacement document of the parents
- a certificate of birth issued by a doctor or midwife/maternity nurse, if they were present at the birth.
A marriage certificate must also be presented if the marriage has already been dissolved.
What are the fees?
Fees may apply, please contact the competent authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
The birth of a child must be reported to the competent authority within one week.
The date of birth is not included in the calculation of the notification period.
If a child is stillborn or died in childbirth, the notification must be made no later than the third working day following the birth.
What else should I know?
On the basis of the notarization made in the birth register , a birth certificate can be issued upon request.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.