Apply for funding at the Jobcenter for people with disabilities who would like to complete further training
If you need special help with professional reorientation or reorientation due to physical, psychological, sensory or learning impairments, you can take part in a rehabilitation-specific training course. You can then either continue your training
- in the company with the support of an educational institution (in-company retraining)
- or directly at an educational institution
- or in a vocational rehabilitation facility.
During your continuing education, you are covered by social security. The further training costs are paid by the Jobcenter, provided that the Federal Employment Agency is your responsible rehabilitation provider. Depending on the eligibility requirements, you are entitled to citizens' allowance during the training. From 01.07.2023, you will receive the citizen's allowance bonus of EUR 75.00 per month during a training course that lasts longer than eight weeks. During retraining leading to a vocational qualification, you will receive further training allowance of EUR 150.00 per month from 01.07.2023.
The aim of the training is to improve your chances of integration into the labour market, for example through qualification, and to find employment that is appropriate for your health. The following measures are possible:
Rehab Preparation Course (RVL)
At the RVL, you will receive support services that will prepare you for retraining. In addition, you will be supported in your search for a suitable retraining company. The RVL usually lasts 3 months.
Continuing vocational training with a degree
Through further training with a degree (= retraining), you can obtain a vocational qualification in a recognised training occupation. The retraining period usually covers 2/3 of the regular training period of the occupational goal. Funding is provided for the entire retraining period. If you have to repeat exams and your retraining period is extended as a result, the funding will also be extended.
If you complete in-company retraining, you will receive socio-pedagogical and, in some cases, psychological support depending on your individual needs. The aim is for you to successfully complete your retraining and then find a job.
An educational institution accompanies you throughout the entire retraining period with teaching, support and counselling services and helps you with problems in vocational school and company.
If it is not possible for you to undergo in-company retraining, you can complete this at an educational institution or a vocational rehabilitation facility.
The theoretical part of the retraining takes place in the educational institution or the institution for vocational rehabilitation and in vocational schools. The retraining also includes support and remedial teaching as well as offers for exam preparation. The practical parts of the retraining are carried out by companies with which a retraining or cooperation agreement may be concluded.
Continuing vocational training without a degree
As part of a training course without a degree, you can adapt your qualifications and knowledge to the current requirements of the labour market.
The content, duration and orientation of continuing education measures without a degree are diverse. They can include knowledge transfer, but also support in taking up work on the labour market and in-company phases. This also includes integration measures.
Depending on the target group and equipment, the (educational) institutions have their own workshops, offices and businesses with disability-friendly workplace design and provide you with pedagogical and sometimes psychological support.
Vocational rehabilitation facilities also offer housing and leisure facilities and are available for occupational health questions.
Whether you are able to undertake rehabilitation-specific further training – supported by the company or in an (educational) institution – depends, among other things, on:
- whether the measure is suitable for you and your specific case in order to increase your chances on the labour market,
- what your personal inclinations are and how they can be useful in your professional life,
- what activities you have carried out so far and
- how the labour market is currently developing.
In order to receive rehabilitation-specific training, you must contact your employment agency or job centre:
- To do this, make an appointment with the Vocational Rehabilitation and Participation team of your employment agency or the integration specialist at your job centre.
- If you do not yet have a personal contact person at the Employment Agency, please make an appointment via the service hotline of the Federal Employment Agency.
- If you are already being looked after by the Jobcenter, make an appointment with your personal integration specialist.
- During the consultation, it will be clarified whether rehab-specific training is suitable for you.
- If your counsellor determines that you are eligible for rehabilitation-specific training, you will be immediately marked for it. Your advisor will also discuss the forms you need to fill out with you. You can also fill out the documents online.
- You will receive a written notification as soon as a place is available.
- The Employment Agency or the Job Centre will register you with the educational institution or the vocational rehabilitation institution.
- You conclude a continuing education/participation contract with the educational institution or institution and start your further training.
If you would like to complete a rehabilitation-specific training course, the following requirements apply:
- You have a disability and your rehabilitation provider is the Federal Employment Agency.
- Your prospects of participating in working life are not only temporarily significantly reduced due to the nature or severity of your disabilities.
- Or: You are threatened with a disability with the same professional consequences.
- Due to the nature and severity of your disabilities
- the general benefits are not sufficient to promote your participation in working life,
- you need special support from an educational institution, or
- you must complete further training in a special institution of vocational rehabilitation.
- They are willing to undergo vocational training or to be professionally integrated in some other way.
- You can be expected to complete the continuing education.
Which documents are required?
When you contact the Employment Agency or the Jobcenter, please ask what documents you need.
What are the fees?
The processing usually takes several weeks. Once the service has been approved, the measure should begin as soon as possible in consultation with the provider.
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: Yes
Appeal to the Jobcenter that issued the decision. Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the respective notice.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.