Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Obtain a certificate for taking narcotics with you when travelling abroad

As a patient, you are allowed to export or import narcotics prescribed to you by your doctor in the appropriate quantity for the duration of a trip as travel necessities.

When travelling for up to 30 days in member states of the Schengen Agreement, you can take medically prescribed narcotics with you, provided that you have a certificate completed by the attending physician. You must have this certificate certified before the start of the trip.

This regulation also applies if you are carrying narcotics that can be prescribed in the country of origin but not in the country of destination.

It is not permitted for authorised persons to carry narcotics with them.

If you are travelling outside the "Schengen area", you should clarify the legal situation in the country you are travelling to before you start your trip. After that, you will need to have a multilingual certificate issued by your doctor.

As a patient, you should also inquire about the carrying of certain substitution drugs (e.g. methadone) at the relevant diplomatic mission of the destination country in Germany before travelling.

As a doctor, dentist or veterinarian, you are allowed to carry narcotics in cross-border traffic as part of charitable missions abroad (e.g. Doctors Without Borders) or as medical practice supplies, if you use them in appropriate quantities and for the purpose of practising the medical profession or providing first aid.

You must be able to identify yourself as a doctor (doctor's card). Before travelling, please check with the diplomatic mission of the country of destination whether the narcotics can be taken with you and, if so, whether permits are required.

Process flow

If, as a patient, you wish to carry narcotics purchased on the basis of a doctor's prescription when travelling to countries of the Schengen Agreement:

  • download the "Certificate for carrying narcotics in the context of medical treatment" from the website of the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM) and ask your attending physician to fill it out.
  • Have the certificate certified by the highest state health authority or a body commissioned by it on the basis of the medical prescription.
  • A separate certificate is required for each narcotic prescribed.
  • You must carry the certificate with you on your trip. It is valid for a maximum of 30 days.

When travelling to other countries:

  • inform yourself in advance about the regulations applicable in the destination country.
  • Download the template for a multilingual certificate from the BfArM website and ask your prescribing doctor to fill it in.
    The certificate contains information on individual and daily dosages, active ingredient designation and duration of the trip.
  • Subsequently, have the certificate certified by the competent supreme state health authority or a body commissioned by it.
  • You must carry the certificate with you on your trip.


Medical prescription of the narcotic

Which documents are required?

  • Certificate for carrying narcotics as part of medical treatment


  • Multilingual certificate when travelling to countries outside the Schengen area

What are the fees?

The certification of the certificate is subject to a fee in accordance with the respective fee schedule of the certifying body

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?


Applications / forms

  • Form:
    • Certificate for carrying narcotics as part of medical treatment
    • Sample multilingual certificate when travelling to countries outside Schengen
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: no

Certificate for carrying narcotics as part of medical treatment

Sample multilingual certificate when travelling to countries outside Schengen

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Health

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Gesundheit
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993
Building Access:
elevator available : yes
wheelchair-accessible : yes

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)