Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Alternative service

Attention: The content of this service is no longer up-to-date. An update is currently being carried out by the Federal Ministry of the Interior.

In civilian service, recognized conscientious objectors perform tasks that serve the common good primarily in the social field.

Civilian service usually includes activities such as hospitals, old people's homes and care for the disabled. It lasts nine months.

You can also do a Voluntary Social Year/Voluntary Ecological Year at home or abroad, another service abroad, a service as a volunteer in civil protection or disaster control or as a development worker. Further information can be obtained from the Federal Office for Civilian Service.

In the course of 2011, the Conscription Act will be amended. This will lead to considerable changes with regard to conscription, basic military service but also civilian service. General compulsory military service will be suspended as of 1 July 2011. Further details cannot be given at the moment (as of January 2011). Information on the changes to the law can therefore be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of Defence.

Process flow

After recognition as a conscientious objector, the person performing civilian service must look for a civilian service position and arrange for a proposal for conscription to be sent from there. After receiving an application permit, you only have 2 months left to look for a job yourself. After that, the convocation takes place nationwide.

Who should I contact?

Responsibility lies with the Federal Office for Family and Civil Society Tasks (BAFzA).

Which documents are required?

The notice of recognition and the mustering notice must be submitted to the civilian service offices.

What are the fees?

There are no fees.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed.


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Bundesamt für den Zivildienst (BAZ)
Address: Sibillle-Hartmann-Straße 2-8 , 50964 Köln, Stadt
Telephone: 0221 3673-0
Fax: 0221 3673-4661

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)