Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Victim compensation

If you have suffered damage to your health through no fault of your own as a result of an act of violence, you can receive care under the Act on Compensation for Victims of Violent Crimes (OEG). The pension is granted in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Supply Act and essentially includes medical and medical treatment, pensions for the injured and survivors and benefits for war victims.

Compensation for pain and suffering will not be paid. Property damage and financial losses will not be compensated.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the branch office of the State Office for Social Affairs, Youth and Family, which is responsible for your place of residence. is. The prerequisite is that the injury occurred within Lower Saxony.

If there is no place of residence in Lower Saxony, the jurisdiction depends on the place of the crime. In case of damage outside Lower Saxony the compensation authorities of the respective federal state are responsible.

Which documents are required?

  • if the application is submitted in writing: birth certificate
  • when submitting the application in person: identity card or passport
  • Confirmation of registration
  • Proof of nationality (unless German citizenship)
  • for non-EU applicants: proof of your legal residence
  • any medical documents in your possession (e.g. Expert opinion)
  • If applicable, power of attorney, supervisor card or certificate of appointment

What are the fees?

There are no fees.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Benefits shall commence at the earliest on the occurrence of the injury if the application is made within one year of the offence. It is therefore advisable to submit the application immediately.

Applications / forms

An informal application to the branch office of the State Office for Social Affairs, Youth and Family is also sufficient.

However, the application is also accepted by all other social service providers (e.g. health insurance companies) and by all municipalities.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony State Office for Social Affairs, Youth and Family


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)