Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Aid for the continuation of the budget Authorization

Assistance for the continuation of the budget is granted if the continuation of a budget is at risk.

The service content includes personal care and the performance of necessary housekeeping activities. Personal care is particularly necessary for children to be cared for. Ultimately, this includes everything that a person who is now prevented from doing - for example due to illness, imprisonment, recovery measures or even death - has done before, such as playing with the children and supervising schoolwork.

Aid for the continuation of the budget is a subordinate aid. It is only granted insofar as priority aid, such as assistance for care according to the Seventh Chapter of SGB XII, assistance for education according to § 27 SGB VIII or health insurance benefits are not considered. Health insurance companies, for example, may pay for domestic help if a child under the age of 12 or a disabled child in need of assistance lives in the household. Only if the benefits of the health insurance do not help or are not provided, the benefits of social assistance can begin.

As a general rule, aid for the continuation of the budget should be granted only temporarily. An end to the emergency must be in sight. In the event of the death of the person in charge of the household, this may be the case if, during a transitional period during which assistance is provided for the continuation of the household, the family has to make its own decisions about its future life. After the end of the transitional period, (permanent) assistance for education according to §§ 27 ff. SGB VIII or possible help for care may then be considered for children to be cared for.

Process flow

Ideally, an informal notification of the need for help is first made to the responsible authority.

A fully completed social assistance application can be submitted promptly.

Since the competent authority can only provide assistance from the moment when it becomes aware of the applicant's need for assistance, the need for assistance should be notified as soon as possible. This notification can be made in writing, by telephone, in person or by notifying the Municipal Social Service (KSD).

After the application has been examined and, if necessary, further comments have been obtained, the applicant will receive a final decision from the competent authority.

If the application is approved, the persons now managing the household can have their expenses reimbursed. In the case of a longer period of use, the assumption of contributions for an adequate old-age provision is also considered. If people from the household community or close persons are not available, professional staff can also provide support. Alternatively, household members can also be temporarily accommodated in hospital.

Who should I contact?

The competent social welfare office is the social welfare office of the local social assistance institution or the social welfare office of the commune, joint municipality or town in which the place of residence is located.


  • There is a household and neither the previous household manager (e.g. in case of serious illness or deprivation of liberty) nor another household member can run the household.
  • The continuation of the household is necessary and sensible (e.g. for families with minor children).
  • There is need (including income limit according to § 85 SGB XII, no assets to be used according to § 90 SGB XII) and
  • The help is only necessary temporarily. Exception: If the assistance avoids or delays placement in a home or a similar institution, it can be granted for a longer, indefinite period.

Which documents are required?

The required evidence largely corresponds to those necessary for the decision to grant assistance under SGB XII (including assistance for subsistence). In practice, therefore, a fully completed and signed social assistance application with explanations of the special benefit requirements and the financial situation must regularly be submitted - if only because of the means and subordination test.

What are the fees?

There are no fees.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

This assistance shall be provided as soon as the competent authority or a body authorised by it becomes aware that the conditions for payment are met.

Processing duration

A decision on the application shall be taken without delay. The processing time depends, among other things, on the completeness of the information and the submission of the supporting documents required for the processing of the application.


An appeal may be lodged against the decisions of the competent authority within one month of notification.

After completion of the opposition proceedings by means of an objection decision, an action may be brought before the Social Court within one month of notification.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Equality

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)