Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Registration certificate Part I Replacement

There is no general obligation to exchange the old vehicle registration document for the new registration certificate Part II . However, there must be no juxtaposition of old and new papers for a vehicle. It is exchanged automatically if a new vehicle registration document has to be issued anyway, e.g. because it has been lost. This applies regardless of whether the old vehicle registration document is still available or not. The vehicle registration document shall be destroyed and replaced by the Part I registration certificate .

Process flow

Problems are sometimes caused by the transfer of old information into the new papers. In principle, the new box 22 of the registration certificate Part I serves to take over the entries in the "Remarks" box of the former vehicle registration document. If there is not enough space, a supplement is issued, which is attached to the registration certificate Part I.

Check the correct transmission of all information when issuing the new papers and complain about any discrepancies as soon as possible. When the new papers are issued, have the old vehicle registration document handed over to you in order to have a document about the previous entries.

In the case of a false affidavit, penalties may occur according to §§ 156, 161 of the Criminal Code (StGB) and § 5 of the Road Traffic Act (StVG).

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.

Which documents are required?

  • Current identity card or passport with confirmation of registration – not older than 3 months
  • Proof of a valid main inspection (HU) according to § 29 Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO)
  • Vehicle registration document or registration certificate Part II
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
    • This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
    • Alternative:
      • a certificate stating that the Hauptzollamt renounces the direct debit authorisation, or
      • proof of exemption

in the case of execution by third parties additionally:

  • informal, written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered

in the event of loss or theft of the registration certificate Part I

  • affidavit
  • informal declaration of loss by the person holding the vehicle or
  • Theft report from the police

What are the fees?

Fees may apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Technically approved by

AG Kommunenredaktion


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)