Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Re-registration of a vehicle

A vehicle that has been taken out of service can be re-registered. At the same time, it is possible to relabel to a desired license plate.

Process flow

The application for re-admission must be submitted by the holder or a person authorised in writing.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the independent city and the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.

In this case, the main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal entities, this is the registered office of the principal place of business or the seat of the branch.


  • Admission only to the holder in the old registration district

Which documents are required?

  • current identity card or passport with registration certificate – not older than 3 months
  • Proof of the authorisation of the holder to be registered unless this is apparent from one of the following documents:
    • Registration Certificate Part I and Registration Certificate Part II
  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) according to § 23 of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)
  • SEPA Direct Debit Mandate for the Collection of Motor Vehicle Tax
    • This must be presented in writing in the original, signed by the holder, at the time of approval, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, the original of this mandate must be signed by the holder and the account holder. Proof of the bank details provided must be provided.
    • Alternative:
      • a certificate stating that the main customs office waives the collection of motor vehicle tax, or
      • Proof of tax exemption
  • License plates that are still in place
  • Re-registration of a vehicle without modifications
    • Proof of a valid general inspection (HU)
  • Re-registration of a vehicle with modifications
    • Expert opinion according to § 19 of the Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO)

in the case of third-party processing, additionally:

  • informal, written power of attorney of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered

In the case of companies, additionally:

  • Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
  • the identity documents of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) as well as their power of attorney

in the case of clubs, additionally:

  • Excerpt from the Register of Associations
  • Identification of the responsible person authorized to sign (board of directors) as well as their power of attorney

in the case of underage vehicle owners, additionally:

  • Declaration of consent and signature of both parents
  • their ID cards

for civil-law partnerships, additionally:

  • Complete overview of the shareholders – usually shareholders' agreement
  • Power of attorney and declaration of the natural person to whom the admission is to be granted – confirmed by all shareholders by signature

What are the fees?

Fees apply, please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Applications / forms

If an application form is necessary, it can be obtained in advance from the competent authority.

What else should I know?

Journeys that are related to the registration may be carried out with unstamped number plates in the registration district indicated on the registration plate and in the adjacent district, if the competent authority has assigned or reserved the number plate in advance and the journeys are covered by the motor vehicle liability insurance. The license plates must be affixed to the vehicle. The completed insurance certificate must be carried with you.

If you want a license plate of your choice, the registration or reservation can be made in person, in writing or by telephone as well as as an online service via the Internet, depending on the offer of the responsible authority, even before re-registration.

Technically approved by

WG Municipal Editorial Office


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)