Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for an extension of a residence permit for the purpose of employment for (formerly) qualified tolerated persons

You can apply for an extension of your residence permit for qualified tolerated persons issued for the purpose of employment if you wish to continue to pursue employment and also continue to meet the other requirements. In principle, the same requirements must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issuance. In particular, you must be able to secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without claiming public benefits.

In order to process your application, the Foreigners' Registration Office usually involves the Federal Employment Agency, which examines the employment conditions. After holding the residence permit for two years and if during this time you have been employed in a job corresponding to your professional qualifications, access to the labor market is no longer subject to restrictions.

In case of extension, your residence permit will be limited again. As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this was already ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.

Process flow

  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or whether you have a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, preferably in the original, to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the purpose of creating a new electronic residence permit (eAT card). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from the Federal Printing Office. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit from the competent authority. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.


In principle, you must fulfill the same requirements for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issuance of the residence permit, i.e.:

  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute).
  • You have in the federal territory
    • completed qualified vocational training in a state-recognized or comparably regulated training occupation or a university degree, or
    • with a recognized university degree or a foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree, have been continuously employed for at least two years in an occupation appropriate to their degree, or
    • have been in qualified employment for at least three years without interruption and have not been dependent on public funds within the last year (with the exception of benefits to cover the necessary costs for accommodation and heating).
  • You have sufficient German language skills at least at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • You can present a concrete job offer or a contract (the form "Declaration of employment relationship" serves as proof of the concrete job offer).
  • You have sufficient living space for yourself and your family.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has approved your employment.
  • You are able to secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without claiming public benefits.
  • There is no interest in deportation against you.

Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Which documents are required?

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the submission of the same documents as for the initial issuance:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of completed education (e.g. university degree, certificates of completed vocational training)
  • In case of foreign university degrees:
    • Notification of recognition or comparability of the university degree, if available.
    • Certificate evaluation of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), if available
  • Employment contract or the form "Declaration of Employment Relationship" filled out and signed by the employer (see forms).
  • Evidence of previous employment (e.g. employer's references, employment contracts), if available
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of livelihood security (e.g. equity capital, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Current certificate of registration

In individual cases, the Aliens Department may require less or further proof.

What are the fees?

The following fees apply:

  • 96,00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93,00 for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office no later than 8 before the expiry of your current residence permit.

Deadline for filing an action: 1 month

Processing duration

The time it takes to process the application depends on the local conditions as well as on the factual accuracy of the information in the application and the completeness of the application documents.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes


  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Action before the court named in the notice of appeal if the appeal is not granted

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sports

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)