Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Foreign professional qualification Recognition as an officially recognised motor vehicle expert / motor vehicle expert

  • The profession of officially recognised motor vehicle traffic expert / motor vehicle expert is regulated in Germany.
  • The recognition of your professional qualification is necessary so that you can work in the profession in Germany.

Process flow

You can also apply if you do not yet live in Germany.

  • You can send the application by post to the competent office. Do not send originals!
  • Perhaps you can send the application by e-mail. Ask your responsible office beforehand. At a later stage in the recognition procedure, you may need to submit the original documents or the certified copies.
  • The competent authority receives the application. It will confirm to you after one month at the latest that the application has been received. Once the competent body has received all the documents from you, it will process your application.
  • The competent authority carries out an equivalence test: it compares your professional qualification with the German professional qualification. In doing so, the competent body shall take into account your professional experience, other qualifications and qualifications. In some cases, the competent body also checks other conditions, e.g. Your knowledge of German or your personal suitability.
  • The procedure takes a maximum of 3 months. In certain cases, the competent body may prolong the procedure. At the end, the competent authority will send you a notification with the result.
  • Result: Recognition

    Your professional qualification and the German professional qualification are equivalent. Your professional qualification will be recognised.

    Result: No recognition

    There are significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification. You cannot compensate for these differences with your professional experience and other knowledge in the profession. Therefore, your professional qualification is not equivalent to the German professional qualification. Depending on the profession, the following applies:

  • You can make a compensatory measure. This allows you to compensate for the essential differences.
  • Or you can make an adaptation qualification and then submit a follow-up application.

Competent authority

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation
Friedrichswall 1
30159 Hanover, Germany
Phone: +49 511 120 0

What are the fees?

Processing duration

  • No later than one month after receipt of your application by the competent body: the competent body will inform you of the receipt of the documents. It will let you know if documents are missing. The procedure starts when the documents are complete.
  • After 3 months at the latest: You will receive a notification with the result. In certain cases, the competent body may prolong the procedure.

Applications / forms

  • Application form from the competent body
  • If there is no application form: an informal application
  • Proof of identity (e.g. passport or identity card)
  • Marriage certificate (if your name has changed due to marriage)
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Proof of your professional qualification (e.g. certificates, professional certificate)
  • Proof of content and duration of your education (e.g. Diploma Supplement, Transcript of Records)
  • Proof of your professional experience in your profession (e.g. employment references)
  • Proof of your other qualifications (e.g. continuing vocational training, seminars)
  • You may have to prove that you are allowed to work in the profession in your country of training.
  • Information about an application for recognition that has already been submitted. Then indicate to which body you have submitted the application.
  • Maybe more documents
  • The competent authority will inform you which documents you must show in the original or hand in as copies. Some copies must be officially certified. We recommend that you do not send originals by post.

    You must present your documents in German. The translations must be made by publicly appointed or authorised translators.


You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. Details of this procedure can be found in the information on the right of appeal at the end of your decision.


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)