Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for assistance for full-time care education

Assistance for upbringing in full-time care means that your child lives with another family and is cared for there. Which foster family your child lives with and for how long depends, for example, on:

  • Age of the child
  • Your child's stage of development
  • Your child's attachments
  • Ways to improve your parenting conditions
  • The foster parents are selected by the Youth Welfare Office together with you.
  • Only suitable people can become foster parents and take your child in.
  • Relatives (e.g. grandparents) can also be foster parents.

Assistance for full-time care can be temporary or permanent. It is a type of educational aid. It may also apply to young adults.

Process flow

Please contact the responsible Youth Welfare Office.

The Youth Welfare Office will explain to you in a personal conversation what help is available.

The Youth Welfare Office will try to support you so that your child can continue to stay with you.

If you and the Youth Welfare Office come to the conclusion that it makes sense to place your child in a foster family, then you can apply for "Educational Assistance".

All parties involved (you, your child, the future foster parents if necessary and the Youth Welfare Office) meet for a help plan discussion. The aid plan specifies how the aid is to be structured and what objectives are to be achieved.

The Youth Welfare Office is looking for a suitable foster family. You can express your wishes. If there are several possible foster parents, then they can also choose.

The Youth Welfare Office regularly checks whether the help is still suitable.

Who should I contact?

to the local youth welfare office


You are the parent or guardian of a child (the person with custody).

They do not manage to care for and educate the child in such a way that it is good for the child.

Assistance for education in full-time care is suitable and necessary (this is decided by the Youth Welfare Office).

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card
  • If applicable, proof of custody, for example: birth certificate, information from the custody register or order of the family court on custody

What are the fees?

The costs for assistance in full-time care are largely borne by the Youth Welfare Office. However, you must contribute to the costs to a reasonable extent. Please ask the responsible Youth Welfare Office about this.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)