Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Foreign professional qualification Recognition as a social pedagogue (B.A.) /Social pedagogue (B.A.)

If you want to work in Germany as a social pedagogue (B.A.) / social pedagogue (B.A.) or as a social worker (B.A.), you usually need the corresponding state recognition in the form of the authorization to use the professional title "State-approved social pedagogue (B.A.)" or "State-approved social pedagogue B.A."). / "State-approved social worker (B.A)" "State-approved social worker (B.A.)".

Social work is a regulated profession. Even with a relevant undergraduate university degree obtained abroad, you can apply for state recognition in Germany.

Process flow

For state recognition, the competent authority checks on the basis of your submitted documents whether or to what extent your foreign qualification of a German qualification for the profession of social pedagogue (B.A.) /of the social pedagogue (B.A.) or the social worker (B.A.) /of the social worker (B.A.). This review is based on defined formal and content-related criteria, such as the content and duration of higher education. Your relevant professional experience will be taken into account as well as other relevant qualifications.

Important note: For academic qualifications, you can apply for a basic evaluation of your university degree by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). The evaluation by the ZAB does not replace the procedure for state recognition to be applied for here (content examination by a responsible university).

Further information can be found on the portal "Recognition in Germany". This internet portal provides quick and easy answers to questions about recognition, for example:

  • Do I have to have my professional qualification recognised?
  • Is the recognition worthwhile for me?
  • Can I apply? Do I have a formal right to it?
  • Where should I contact?
  • What is the procedure?
  • Which documents are required? What form must the documents take?
  • How long does the procedure take?
  • How much does the procedure cost?
  • Which laws are relevant to my case?

Portal "Recognition in Germany"


Portal "Recognition in Germany"

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the universities in the field of social work.


Please use the individual consultation request according to § 22 SozHeilKindVO before applying. In this way, it can be clarified at an early stage whether an application for recognition makes sense at all.

Which documents are required?

You will need the following documents:

  • Tabular list of your completed courses of study and gainful employment
  • Indication of your contact details (address of current place of residence / e-mail)
  • Proof of identity
  • Certified university degree or Bachelor's degree including overview of subjects and grades or other evidence of competence and training / transcript of records / Diploma Supplement on studying abroad
  • Certificate of entitlement to practise a profession
  • evidence of relevant professional experience (e.g. employment contracts, certificates of traineeship, employment references) indicating the normal weekly working time, the fields of activity completed, assessments of the activities and the overall duration of the professional activities, or other evidence of competence, where necessary to establish equivalence
  • Explanation of whether and to which body you have already submitted an application for a determination of equivalence and, if applicable, notification of the determination of equivalence
  • A current, extended certificate of good conduct or proof that an extended certificate of good conduct has been applied for at the registration authority in accordance with § 30a Federal Central Register for submission to the university

All documents must be submitted in the original or as a certified copy and in German. If the documents are written in another language, you may also need a translation from a publicly appointed translator.

Additional documentation may be required. At the time of application, knowledge of the German language at least at level B2 is recommended.


What are the fees?

Fees may apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed. The deadline for submitting the application begins with the confirmation of the competent authority that the required documents are complete.

Legal basis

The decision is made in accordance with §§ 1 - 3 dof the Ordinance on the State Recognition of Professional Qualifications in the Field of Social Work, Curative Education and Education in Childhood (SozHeilKindVO) of 17 May 2017 (Nds. GVBl. p. 155), most recently amended by the Ordinance of 20 March 2018 (Nds. GVBl. p. 42 ).

Professional Qualifications Assessment Act (BQFG)

Ordinance on the State Recognition of Professional Qualifications in the Field of Social Work and Curative Education (SozHeilVO)


The decision is subject to appeal.

Supporting institutions

The service points of the network "Integration through Qualification" (IQ Network) will be happy to advise and accompany you before, during and after the recognition procedure.

Network "Integration through Qualification (IQ)"

Technically approved by

Ministry of Science and Culture of the State of Lower Saxony and Recognition Finder Germany


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)