Foreign professional qualification Recognition as a social worker (B.A.) /Social Worker (B.A.)
If you want to work as a social worker (B.A.) or social worker (B.A.) in Germany, you usually need the right to use the professional title "Staatlich anerkannte Sozialarbeiterin (B.A.)" or "Staatlich anerkannte Sozialarbeiter (B.A.)". Even with a degree obtained abroad, you can apply for eligibility in Germany.
For recognition, the competent authority checks on the basis of your certificates whether or to what extent your foreign qualification of a German qualification for the profession of social worker (B.A.) /of the social worker (B.A.). This review is based on defined formal criteria, such as the content and duration of the training. Your relevant professional experience will be taken into account as well as other relevant qualifications. For academic qualifications, you can apply for an assessment by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).
Further information can be found on the portal "Recognition in Germany". This internet portal provides quick and easy answers to questions about recognition, for example:
- Do I have to have my professional qualification recognised?
- Is the recognition worthwhile for me?
- Can I apply? Do I have a formal right to it?
- Where should I contact?
- What is the procedure?
- Which documents are required? What form must the documents take?
- How long does the procedure take?
- How much does the procedure cost?
- Which laws are relevant to my case?
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the universities in the field of social work.
Which documents are required?
As a rule, you will need the following documents:
- Tabular list of your completed training courses and gainful employment
- Indication of your current place of residence
- Proof of identity
- Evidence of formal qualifications obtained abroad
- evidence of relevant professional experience or other evidence of formal qualifications, where necessary for the purpose of establishing equivalence
- Explanation of whether and to which body you have already submitted an application for a determination of equivalence
- if applicable, decision on the determination of equivalence
As a rule, you must submit all documents in the original or as a certified copy and in German. If the documents are written in another language, you may also need a translation from a publicly appointed translator.
Additional documentation may be required. Please contact the competent authority.
What are the fees?
Fees may apply. Please contact the relevant authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines to be observed. The deadline for submitting the application begins with the confirmation of the competent authority that the required documents are complete.
The decision is made according to §§ 1 - 3 of the Regulation on the State Recognition of Professional Qualifications in the Field of Social Work and Curative Education (SozHeilVO) of 28.01.2013 Niedersächsisches Gesetz- und Verordnungsblatt (Nds. GVBl.) p. 38.
Professional Qualifications Assessment Act (BQFG)
Ordinance on the State Recognition of Professional Qualifications in the Field of Social Work and Curative Education (SozHeilVO)
The decision is subject to appeal.
What else should I know?
anabin database for the evaluation of foreign educational certificates on the website of the Central Office for Foreign Education
Information on certificate evaluation for foreign higher education qualifications on the website of the Central Office for Foreign Education
The service points of the network "Integration through Qualification" (IQ Network) will be happy to advise and accompany you before, during and after the recognition procedure.
Technically approved by
Ministry of Science and Culture of the State of Lower Saxony and Recognition Finder Germany
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.