Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Hannover

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Applying for recognition as a farrier with a foreign professional qualification

The profession of farrier is regulated in Germany. This means that in order to be able to work as a farrier in Germany, you need state recognition. Even with a professional qualification from abroad, you can receive state recognition.

In the recognition procedure, the competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence of the two qualifications. In addition to the established equivalence of the professional qualification, you must also meet other requirements for state recognition. An important prerequisite is, for example, the required reliability.

You can also apply for the procedure from abroad.

Process flow


You submit an application for state recognition as a farrier to the competent authority.
The competent authority will then check whether your qualification corresponds to the German qualification and whether all other requirements are met. State recognition can only be granted if your qualification is equivalent to the German qualification.

Equivalent certificates

Some examination certificates (qualifications) from abroad are treated as equivalent without an individual equivalence test. The equivalent examination certificates are listed in Appendix 1 of the Horseshoeing Recognition Ordinance. You must also provide proof of at least 2 years of training or professional experience as a farrier.
As a rule, your professional qualification is also equivalent to the German professional qualification if your professional qualification has already been recognised by the European Federation of Farriers (EFFA).

Equivalence test

Your examination certificate is not automatically equivalent or has not yet been recognised by the EFFA? In this case, the competent authority carries out an individual equivalence check. The competent authority compares your professional qualification with the German professional qualification. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the exam

If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognised. The competent authority can confirm the result in writing. You still have to meet the other requirements. Then you will receive state recognition as a farrier

Are there any significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification? Perhaps you can make up for the differences through your professional practice, other knowledge, skills, or abilities. You must provide proof of professional experience. Knowledge, skills and abilities must be certified by an authority of the state in which you acquired the knowledge, skills or abilities.

However, it may be that the essential differences cannot be compensated for by these knowledge, skills and abilities. In this case, your foreign professional qualification will not be recognised. In this case, you are not allowed to work as a farrier in Germany.

The competent authority will tell you the main differences and why you cannot compensate for the significant differences through your professional practice. You can make a compensatory measure to compensate for the significant differences.

Compensatory measures

There are various compensatory measures:

  • Adaptation period: The adaptation period lasts a maximum of three years.
  • Aptitude test: The aptitude test examines the areas where significant differences have been identified.

You can choose between an adaptation period or an aptitude test. If you successfully complete the compensatory measure and meet all other requirements, you will receive state recognition as a farrier.


  • Your professional qualification is equivalent to the German professional qualification as a farrier.
  • For their qualification, they have completed at least 2 years of training to become a farrier. This also includes full-time work as a farrier.
  • You are entitled to work as a farrier in your country of origin.
  • Personal suitability: You are reliable to work as a farrier and have not violated animal welfare.
  • You want to work in the profession in Germany.

Which documents are required?

  • Proof of identity (ID card or passport)
  • Marriage certificate (if your name has changed as a result of marriage)
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Proof of your professional qualification (e.g. certificates, professional certificate)
  • Proof of training (e.g. location, duration and content of the training)
  • Proof of your relevant professional experience as a farrier
  • Proof of other relevant qualifications for working as a farrier
  • Have you ever applied for recognition? Then indicate to which office you submitted the application.
  • Proof of personal suitability: official certificate of good conduct from Germany. Or: Confirmation from the country of training that you have not violated animal welfare.
  • Are you from a third country and do not yet live or work in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland? Then you have to prove that you want to work in the profession in Germany. Evidence includes, for example, applications for a job, invitations to job interviews or a location note from the Central Service Centre for Professional Recognition (ZSBA).

If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. Translations must be carried out by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

What are the fees?

The costs generally depend on the amount of work involved.

In addition, additional costs may arise (e.g. for translations or certifications). These costs vary from person to person.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 3 Months
The competent authority will confirm that your application and documents have been received after a maximum of one month. The competent authority will inform you if any documents are missing. If the documents are complete, the procedure will take a maximum of 3 months. In justified cases, the deadline may be extended by one month.


You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (e.g. lodge an appeal). The decision will then be reviewed. Details on this can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

What else should I know?

Procedure for ethnic German repatriates

As a late repatriate, you can either go through the recognition procedure in accordance with the laws mentioned here or in accordance with the Federal Expellees Act. This is up to you. The competent authority will advise you on which procedure is right for you.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Niedersächsisches Landesamt für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit (LAVES)
Address: Röverskamp 5, 26203 Wardenburg
Postal address: Post Office Box 39 49, 26029 Oldenburg (Oldenburg)
Telephone: 0441 570 26-0
Fax: 0441 570 26-179
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown
Address: Friedrichswall 1 , 30159 Hannover
Telephone: 0800 818-8100
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Data protection information

Stadt Hannover - 18.DSB - Datenschutzbeauftragte/r f. d. Stadtverw. Hannover
Address: Breite Str. 10, 30159 Hannover
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown
Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99
Building Access:
elevator available : unknown
wheelchair-accessible : unknown

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)