Foreign professional qualification Recognition as an architect
If you want to work as an architect in Germany, you need to be entered in the list of architects at the competent authority. You can also apply for registration in Germany if you have obtained a degree abroad.
For recognition, the competent authority checks on the basis of your certificates whether and to what extent your foreign qualification corresponds to a German qualification for the profession of architect. This review is based on defined formal criteria, such as the content and duration of the training. Your relevant professional experience will be taken into account as well as other relevant qualifications. For additional information and explanations, please refer to the homepage of the Lower Saxony Chamber of Architects.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the Lower Saxony Chamber of Architects.
- Completed university studies
- If applicable, 2 years of professional internship
Which documents are required?
As a rule, you will need the following documents:
- Tabular list of the training courses you have completed and the gainful employment you have carried out
- Indication of your current place of residence
- Proof of identity
- Evidence of formal qualifications acquired abroad
- evidence of relevant professional experience or other evidence of formal qualifications, where necessary to establish equivalence
- Explanation of whether and to which body you have already submitted an application for a determination of equivalence
- If applicable, a decision on the determination of equivalence
- in the case of self-employed persons: if applicable, proof of the conclusion of professional liability insurance
As a rule, you must submit all documents in the original or as a certified copy and in German. If the documents are written in another language, you may also need a translation by a publicly appointed translator.
Additional documentation may be required. Please contact the competent authority.
What are the fees?
Fees may apply, please contact the competent authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines to be observed.
Applications / forms
Applications and forms can be found on the website of the Lower Saxony Chamber of Architecture.
What else should I know?
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport and Recognition Finder Germany
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.