Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Foreign professional qualification Recognition as a curative education nurse

If you want to work in Germany as a curative education nurse, the equivalence of your training with the local training "State-approved curative education nurse / state-approved curative education nurse" must be determined. This is done by the competent body.

State-approved curative education nurses have the ability to independently and responsibly accompany, supervise and care for people whose personal and social identity and integration is hampered by impairments or disabilities and to promote their personality development, education, socialization and rehabilitation. The target group of this occupational group consists in particular of people whose personal and social identity and integration is hampered by impairments or disabilities.

Process flow

For recognition, the Regional State Office for School and Education Lüneburg checks on the basis of your certificates whether or to what extent your foreign qualification corresponds to a German qualification for the profession of curative education nurse. This review is based on defined formal criteria, such as content, professional orientation and duration of the training. Your relevant professional experience will be taken into account as well as other relevant qualifications. The decision on the application shall be taken by means of a written decision.

If there are significant differences, a compensatory measure (adaptation period or aptitude test) is required before the professional qualification acquired abroad is recognised. The scope of the compensatory measure is determined by the Regional State Office for Schools and Education Lüneburg in a decision.

For more information, visit the portal

This internet portal provides quick and easy answers to questions about recognition, for example:

  • Do I have to have my professional qualification recognised?

  • Is the recognition worthwhile for me?

  • Can I apply? Do I have a formal right to it?

  • Where should I contact?

  • What is the procedure?

  • Which documents are required? What form must the documents take?

  • How long does the procedure take?

  • How much does the procedure cost?

  • Which laws are relevant to my case?

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Regional State Office for Schools and Education Lüneburg


In order for the professional qualification obtained abroad to be recognised, the following conditions must be met:

  • the professional qualification obtained entitles the holder in the country in which it was obtained to pursue professional activities comparable to those of a curative education nurse, and

  • there are no significant differences between the professional qualification obtained in the country of origin and the corresponding vocational training in Lower Saxony.

Which documents are required?

  1. Completed application form
  2. Hand-signed tabular presentation with information about the school and professional career in German
  3. Officially certified copy of the school leaving certificate
  4. Officially certified copies of evidence of formal qualifications in their original language and as a German translation:
    1. Final documents (e.g. diploma) including, if applicable, attachment in original language and as German translation
    2. Proof of training content (subject board, explanations and curricular requirements, etc.) in the original language and as a German translation
    3. Certificate from the competent authority that you are directly entitled to practise the profession in the country of training in the original language and as a German translation.
  5. Officially certified copies of proof of relevant professional experience in Germany or abroad in the form of job references/workbooks in the original language and as a German translation. The evidence should be able to provide information about the activities and the scope of activities.
  6. Proof of identity (identity card, passport or residence permit)

In the case of a postal application, the evidence according to No. 3 - 5 must always be submitted as an officially certified copy of the respective original. In the case of digital applications, we reserve the right to request additional certified copies.

An "official certification" confirms that the copy corresponds to the original. Municipalities, joint municipalities, cities and districts as well as notaries may issue certified copies.
For the documents in non-German, additional translations into German are required. The translations must be prepared or at least confirmed by a publicly appointed/sworn translator in Germany. You can find publicly appointed/sworn translators in Germany here.

English-language certificates do not need to be translated.

If you have any questions, please contact the Regional State Office for Schools and Education Lüneburg.

What are the fees?

A fee of 100 to 250 euros is charged for the recognition procedure.

In addition, you must expect additional costs when carrying out the recognition procedure (for example, fees for translations and certifications).

Fee: 100,00 - 250,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

No deadlines have to be observed on the part of the applicants.

Processing duration

The Processing time is generally up to 3 months, provided that the application documents are complete. In individual cases, an extension may be necessary.

The deadline for submitting the application begins with the confirmation of the competent authority that the required documents are complete.


In the event of a rejection of the recognition applied for, administrative recourse is open.

The rejection is accompanied by a specific instruction on the right to appeal, from which the time limit for bringing an action and the competent administrative court can be seen.

What else should I know?

Further information can be found on the homepage of the RLSB Lüneburg.

For academic qualifications, you can apply for an assessment by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) (

Recognition procedures for the reference qualification as a "state-approved childhood educator" can be applied for at the responsible universities:

Information can also be found in the anabin database for the evaluation of foreign educational certificates on the website of the Central Office for Foreign Education:

Supporting institutions

The service points of the network "Integration through Qualification" (IQ Network) will be happy to advise and accompany you before, during and after the recognition procedure.

Network "Integration through Qualification (IQ)"

Technically approved by

Ministry of Culture of Lower Saxony


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)