prove one's qualification to trade in firearms by examination
Usually, the examination is ordered by the authority to which you have applied for the firearms permit and cannot be applied for separately.
Depending on the scope of the trade permit you have applied for, the examination covers certain categories of weapons.
In the theoretical part of the examination, you must demonstrate knowledge of the regulations governing trade in firearms and ammunition, the acquisition and carrying of firearms, and the main features of other weapons legislation.
In the practical part of the examination, you must demonstrate safe handling of the tested categories of weapons. This includes, among other things, the disassembly and assembly, the naming of essential parts and the description of the functioning.description of the mode of operation.
In order to successfully pass the specialist examination for the trade in weapons and ammunition, you need not only theoretical but also practical knowledge. Therefore, extensive preparation is recommended.
If you have applied for a permit to trade in ammunition, the handling of common ammunition and its use in the associated firearm will be tested.
As a master gunsmith registered in the register of craftsmen, you already possess the expert knowledge and do not have to prove it again by passing an examination at the IHK.
Normally, you apply for a permit to trade in weapons and are then registered for examination via the relevant licensing authority. With some chambers of industry and commerce you can or must register yourself.
- As a rule, you will receive notification from the authority responsible for the trade permit that the examination is to take place.
- Your registration is confirmed by the IHK and you receive an invitation to the examination date.
- You take the examination on site at the IHK.
- You will receive a certificate from the IHK confirming that you have successfully passed the examination.
With the subsequent proof of the specialist knowledge, you can continue the permit procedure for the arms trade.
Who should I contact?
Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK)
- as a rule, the authority to which you have applied for the firearms dealer's licence must register or pre-register you for the examination
Which documents are required?
- If applicable, notification from the competent authority responsible for the trading permit that the examination is to take place
- Official photo ID for identification during the examination
What are the fees?
You can find out the fees from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) where you are taking the examination. They can be found in the fee schedule of the responsible state authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
The certificate of competence is valid for an unlimited period of time and nationwide.
- Expertise examinations take place irregularly, therefore the duration between the notification of the authority and the examination may vary.
- The certificate is usually available immediately or a few days after passing the oral part of the examination
Applications / forms
- Forms: as a rule, you will receive all the necessary forms from the authority issuing the arms trade licence, in some cases also directly from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce.
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form requirement: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
- Detailed information on how to lodge an appeal can be found in the decision on failing the examination.
- Administrative court action
What else should I know?
Technically approved by
Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce
Professionally released on