Prove expertise in the arms trade by means of an examination
Usually, the examination is carried out on the order of the authority to which you applied for the firearms permit and cannot be applied for separately.
Depending on the scope of the trading license you are applying for, the examination will include certain categories of weapons.
In the theoretical part of the exam, you must demonstrate knowledge of the regulations on the trade in firearms and ammunition, the acquisition and carrying of firearms as well as the main features of the other firearms regulations.
In the practical part of the exam, you must demonstrate safe handling of the tested weapon categories. This includes, but is not limited to, disassembling and assembling, naming essential parts and describing how they work.
In order to successfully pass the proficiency exam for the trade in weapons and ammunition, you need not only theoretical, but also practical knowledge. Therefore, extensive preparation is recommended.
If you have applied for a permit to trade in ammunition, the treatment of common ammunition and its use in the associated firearm will be examined.
As a gunsmith registered in the register of craftsmen, you already have the expertise and do not have to prove it again by taking an examination at the Chamber of Industry and Commerce.
Normally, you apply for a permit to trade in weapons and are then reported for examination by the relevant licensing authority. At some chambers of commerce and industry, you can or must register yourself.
- You will usually receive a notification from the authority responsible for the trading license that the check is to be carried out
- Your registration will be confirmed by the Chamber of Industry and Commerce and you will receive an invitation to the exam date
- You take the exam on site at the Chamber of Industry and Commerce
- You will receive the certificate of successfully passed specialist knowledge examination from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce
With the reference of the specialist knowledge, you can continue the licensing procedure for the arms trade.
Who should I contact?
Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK)
- As a rule, the authority to which you applied for the arms trade permit must register or pre-register you for the examination
Which documents are required?
- If applicable, notification from the authority responsible for the trading licence that the check is to be carried out
- Government-issued photo ID for identification during the exam
What are the fees?
You can find out the fees from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK), where you will take the exam.They are based on the fee schedule of the competent state authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
The certificate of proficiency is unlimited and valid nationwide.
- Professional examinations take place irregularly, so the duration between notification from the authority and the examination may vary
- The certificate is usually available immediately or a few days after passing the oral part of the examination
Applications / forms
- Forms: usually you will receive all the necessary forms from the authority that issues arms trade permits, in some cases directly from the Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form requirement: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
- Detailed information on how to file an objection can be found in the notification of failure of the exam
- Administrative Court Action
What else should I know?
Technically approved by
Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce
Professionally released on