Legal profession Admission to the bar
Anyone wishing to work as a lawyer requires a licence. For this purpose, a certificate is issued and handed over by the competent authority. Upon admission, the applicant becomes a member of the admitting position. After admission, the activity may be exercised under the professional title "Rechtsanwältin" or "Rechtsanwalt".
Who should I contact?
The jurisdiction lies with the Bar Association.
This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by municipalities and the state for service providers.
- Qualification for judicial office in accordance with the German Judiciary Act or
- Fulfilment of the integration requirements according to the Act on the Activities of European Lawyers in Germany (EuRAG) or
- passed aptitude test according to the EuRAG
Which documents are required?
- publicly certified copy of the examination certificate
- on the acquisition of the qualification for judicial office,
- passing the aptitude test, or
- on other admission requirements according to § 4 Bundesrechtsanwaltsordnung (BRAO),
- Proof of the conclusion of a professional liability insurance according to § 51 BRAO in the original,
- Curriculum vitae
- if applicable, publicly certified photocopy of the doctoral certificate or proof of the acquisition of another academic degree,
- Personal sheet with photograph
What are the fees?
Fees are charged in accordance with § 192 of the Federal Lawyers' Act (BRAO) in conjunction with the fee statutes of the competent authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.
Processing Time: 3 MonthsSection 32 (2) of the Federal Lawyers' Act (BRAO)
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Justice