Admission to the Bar Granting
If you want to work as a lawyer, you need a license. For this purpose, a certificate is issued and handed over by the competent authority. Upon admission, the applicant becomes a member of the admitting body. After admission, the activity may be carried out under the professional title "lawyer" or "lawyer".
Who should I contact?
Jurisdiction lies with the Bar Association.
This procedure can also be handled through a "point of single contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.
- Qualification as a judge in accordance with the German Judges' Act or
- Fulfil the integration requirements according to the Act on the Activities of European Lawyers in Germany (EuRAG) or
- Passed aptitude test according to the EuRAG
Which documents are required?
- publicly certified copy of the examination certificate
- on the acquisition of the qualification to become a judge,
- on passing the aptitude test, or
- on other admission requirements according to § 4 Bundesrechtsanwaltsordnung (BRAO),
- Proof of the conclusion of a professional indemnity insurance according to § 51 BRAO in the original,
- Curriculum vitae
- if applicable, publicly certified copying of the doctoral certificate or proof of the acquisition of another academic degree,
- Personnel sheet with photo
What are the fees?
Fees are charged in accordance with § 192 of the Federal Lawyers' Code (BRAO) in conjunction with the fee statutes of the competent authority.m.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.
Processing Time: 3 Months§ 32 paragraph 2 Federal Lawyers' Act (BRAO)
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Justice