Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Register of craftsmen Registration of equivalent examinations

For the independent operation of a craft subject to approval of Annex A to § 1 paragraph 2 of the Crafts Code (HwO) as a standing trade, an entry in the register of craftsmen is required. You or your operations manager can be appointed as

  • Diplom-Ingenieur/ Diplom-Ingenieur or Ingenieurin/Ingenieurin/Ingenieur
  • Graduate of a technical university or a state-approved or state-recognized technical college for technology and design

be entered in the register of craftsmen with the craft subject to admission, to which the study or school focus corresponds.

The same applies to nationals of the EU, EEA or Switzerland who have obtained a comparable university degree in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland; other professional qualifications are taken into account via § 9 HwO i.V.m. of the EU/EEA Crafts Regulation (EU/EEA HwV). An entry can also be made if a German state or state-recognized examination equivalent to the master craftsman's examination is available (e.B. industrial master craftsman).

The competent body shall assess whether the conditions for registration are met. The decision on registration is also taken by the competent authority.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Chamber of Crafts (HWK), in whose district your future (permanent establishment) is located.  

This procedure can also be handled through a "point of single contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.

Find your Point of Single Contact here

Which documents are required?

  • University certificate or technical school certificate from a state or state-recognised technical college

What are the fees?

Fees apply in accordance with the scale of fees of the competent authority. please contact the competent authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Applications / forms

Applications and forms can be requested from the competent authority.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Labour, Economic Affairs and Transport

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)

Further Links

Single points of contact of the state of Lower Saxony, Single points of contact of the countries of Europe, advice and assistance for EU citizens and their families.