Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Authorisation for the commercial control of vertebrate animals as pests Issue

If you want to kill or stun vertebrates as pests on a commercial basis, you need an animal welfare permit from the competent authority before starting your work. You can apply for permission in writing in paper form, via the Lower Saxony Application System for Administrative Services Online (NAVO) and, from 2023, via the company portal for health-related consumer protection.

In order to obtain a permit, you must, among other things, attach to the application certificates of competence of the persons who carry out the work of killing and stunning.

Process flow

You will receive the permit from the competent authority after you have submitted the necessary documents and the application for a permit, the competent authority has examined the documents and the requirements have been checked.

Who should I contact?

In Lower Saxony, the responsibility lies with the veterinary offices of the districts, the Hanover region and the independent cities as well as with the Zweckverband Veterinäramt Jade-Weser.

This procedure can also be handled by a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.

Find your Point of Single Contact


  • Application must be completed completely and correctly
  • All required documents are available

Which documents are required?

No documents are required.

What are the fees?

Fee: 25,00 - 1000,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No
The amount of the fees is determined in accordance with the Schedule of Fees for Administration in the Field of Consumer Protection and Veterinary Affairs (GOVV).

Scale of fees for administration in the field of consumer protection and veterinary affairs (GOVV)

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

You need permission before you start working.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 4 Months
Section 11 (5) of the Animal Welfare Act (TierSchG)


Within one month of notification, an action may be brought before the locally competent administrative court.

What else should I know?

Anyone who carries out an activity without the permit required under Section 11 (1) sentence 1 of the Animal Welfare Act (Section 18 (1) No. 20 of the Animal Protection Act is deemed to have committed an administrative offence.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)