Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Authorisation for the commercial control of vertebrate animals as pests Granted

If you want to kill or stun vertebrates as pests on a commercial basis, you need an animal welfare permit from the competent authority before starting your work. You can apply for permission in writing in paper form, via the Lower Saxony Application System for Administrative Services Online (NAVO) and from 2023 via the company portal for health-related consumer protection.

To obtain a permit, you must attach to the application, among other things, proof of competence of the people who carry out the work of killing and stunning.

Process flow

You will receive the permit from the competent authority after you have submitted the necessary documents and the application for a permit, the competent body has checked the documents and the conditions have been checked.

Who should I contact?

In Lower Saxony, responsibility lies with the veterinary offices of the districts, the Hanover region and the independent cities as well as with the Zweckverband Veterinäramt Jade-Weser.

This procedure can also be handled through a "point of single contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.

Find your Point of Single Contact


  • Application is completed completely and correctly
  • All necessary documents are available

Which documents are required?

No documents are required.

What are the fees?

Fee: 25,00 - 1000,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No
The amount of the fees is determined in accordance with the Schedule of Fees for Administration in the Field of Consumer Protection and Veterinary Affairs (GOVV).

Scale of Fees for Administration in the Field of Consumer Protection and Veterinary Affairs (GOVV)

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

You need permission before starting your job.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 4 Months
§ 11 paragraph 5 animal welfare law (TierSchG)


Within one month of notification, an action may be brought before the locally competent administrative court.

What else should I know?

Anyone who carries out an activity without the permission required by § 11 sec. 1 sentence 1 of the Animal Welfare Act (§ 18 sec. 1 no. 20 TierSchG) is acting in an administrative offence.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)

Further Links

Single points of contact of the state of Lower Saxony, Single points of contact of the countries of Europe, advice and assistance for EU citizens and their families.