Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for permission to work as an insurance consultant

As an insurance consultant, you advise people on:

  • the agreement,
  • Modification or
  • Review of insurance contracts.

In addition, in the event of an insured event, you advise or represent persons out of court in the assertion of claims arising from insurance contracts.

For your work as an insurance consultant, you need a permit from your local IHK.

In addition to obtaining permission, you must also be entered in the register of insurance intermediaries. With the application for permission, you can simultaneously submit an application for entry in the register of intermediaries.

As an insurance consultant, you may not accept benefits (commissions) from insurance companies, nor

  • be otherwise dependent on insurance undertakings; or
  • accept an economic advantage.

You work exclusively in the interest of your customers and may only be paid by them.

Special features for foreign nationals:

If you are a foreign national and have a branch in another Member State of the European Union (EU), you must register in that country. You do not need a permit in Germany, nor can you be entered in the German insurance intermediary register.

For foreign nationals from non-EU countries, the same provisions apply as for German nationals. These also apply to EU nationals who register a corresponding trade exclusively in Germany.

Process flow

You can apply for permission to work as an insurance consultant in writing:

  • Download the application form from the website of your local IHK. Fill it out completely.
  • Then send it with the necessary documents to your responsible IHK.
  • As soon as you have provided all the information and the documents are complete, the IHK will decide on your application.
  • After a positive examination, you will receive permission and, if necessary, be entered in the register of insurance intermediaries.
  • The permission granted is valid for an indefinite period. It does not end until you renounce it. Under certain conditions, the IHK can revoke or withdraw the permission and have you deleted from the register of intermediaries.

Note: As a rule, your locally responsible IHK also offers an online procedure.


  • They have the reliability necessary for commercial operations. You are not considered reliable if you have been convicted of any of the following violations in the last 5 years:
    • Crime
    • Theft
    • Embezzlement
    • Blackmail
    • Fraud
    • Unfaithfulness
    • Money laundering
    • Forgery of documents
    • Fencing
    • Usury
    • Insolvency offences
  • They live in orderly financial circumstances. You do not meet this requirement if:
    • opens insolvency proceedings against your assets, or
    • has been rejected for lack of assets, or
    • you are entered in the register of debtors.
  • You have the necessary expertise. Proof of the required expertise is possible by:
    • an examination of competence before the Chamber of Industry and Commerce or
    • equivalent training qualifications and possibly corresponding professional experience.
  • You have taken out professional indemnity insurance. Currently, there is a minimum cover amount of:
    • EUR 1,276,000 for each insured event and
    • EUR 1,919,000 for all claims in one year in total.

Which documents are required?

  • Copy of your valid identity card or passport
  • for proof of entrepreneurial legal form:
    • if the company is based in Germany:
      • Extract from the commercial register or the partnership register, in the case of companies entered in a register, otherwise
      • a copy of the articles of association
    • in the case of the company's registered office abroad: documents from the country of residence proving the legal form
  • for proof of personal reliability:
    • if you are resident in Germany:
      • Certificate of good conduct (document type O) and
      • Excerpt from the Central Trade Register
    • if you reside abroad: Corresponding documents from your home country that prove your personal reliability
  • for proof of orderly financial circumstances:
    • if you are resident in Germany:
      • Extract from the list of debtors
      • Certificate from the insolvency court
      • Certificate from the tax office in tax matters
    • if you reside abroad: Corresponding documents from your home country proving your orderly financial circumstances
  • Certificate of competence of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce on existing necessary knowledge and legal regulations of the insurance industry
  • Proof by an insurance undertaking of the existence of professional indemnity insurance for the insurance industry

For legal entities, you only need to complete the application form for the legal entity itself. You must submit all personal documents for all persons authorized to manage the company. For the legal entity, you also need an extract from the Central Trade Register.

As such, partnerships are not eligible for approval. Therefore, every managing partner needs permission. For each of these persons, you must submit a completed application form and all personal documents.

Attention: To check personal reliability, your IHK may request further documents. Some of the documents submitted may not exceed an expiry period at the time of the decision (not only at the time of submission). Inquire about this at your IHK.

What are the fees?

  • The fees for granting permission to insurance consultants and for registering in the insurance intermediary register vary depending on the Chamber of Industry and Commerce

Note: There may also be costs when requesting documents that you must provide during the procedure.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

  • Decision on the application: within 3 months

Note: You may not start the activity until permission has been granted.

Processing duration

If all documents and information are available, the IHK will decide promptly. Regularly, however, at the latest within three months.

Applications / forms

Forms: can be obtained from your competent Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Online procedure possible: partially, depending on the IHK

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no


In Lower Saxony, preliminary proceedings are not provided for by § 80 Nds. Therefore, no objection is admissible, but rather administrative court action must be brought directly.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)