Admission of a European lawyer to the Bar Association Decision
Anyone who has been admitted to the branch responsible for the place as a European lawyer on application is entitled to pursue the activity of a lawyer in Germany under the professional title of the country of origin.
The decision to admit them is taken by the competent authority.
Who should I contact?
Jurisdiction lies with the Bar Association.
This procedure can also be handled through a "point of single contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.
- The applicant is registered as a European lawyer with the competent authority of the country of origin
Which documents are required?
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of nationality according to § 3 paragraph 1 act on the activity of European lawyers in Germany (EuRAG)
- Certificate from the competent authority in the country of origin of affiliation to the profession of European lawyer, which is not older than 3 months and which is accompanied by a certified translation (§ 3 paragraph 2 EuRAG)
- Proof of professional indemnity insurance in the original, either according to § 51 BRAO via an insurance taken out in Germany or an equivalent insurance in the country of origin (§ 7 paragraph 1 EuRAG)
- if applicable, certified copy of the doctoral certificate or further evidence of the acquisition of academic degrees
- Personnel sheet with photo
What are the fees?
Fees are charged in accordance with § 39 of the Act on the Activities of European Lawyers in Germany (EuRAG) and §192 of the Federal Lawyers' Act (BRAO) in conjunction with the V.m the fee statutes of the competent authority. Please contact the competent authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.
What else should I know?
The established European lawyer shall use the professional title which he/she is entitled to use in the country of origin under the law applicable there. Anyone who is then entitled to use the professional title of "lawyer" must also indicate the professional organisation to which he or she belongs in the country of origin.
The established European lawyer is entitled to use the term "member of the Bar Association" in professional life at the same time. The term "European lawyer" may not be used as a professional title or in advertising.