Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Permission to operate a shooting range: issue

If you want to operate a fixed facility that is used for shooting sports or other shooting exercises with firearms, the testing of firearms or shooting with firearms for amusement (shooting range) or would like to significantly change its nature or in the way it is used, you need a permit from the responsible weapons authority.

No permission is required for shooting ranges where shots are fired indoors exclusively for the purpose of testing firearms or ammunition by weapons or ammunition manufacturers, by weapons or ammunition experts or by scientific institutions.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the district-free city, the large independent city and the independent municipality.

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by municipalities and the state for service providers.


The applicant requires:

  • the required reliability, and
  • has personal aptitude and
  • proves insurance against liability as well as against accident related to the operation of the shooting range.
  • Building and immission control permits for the construction of the shooting range
  • Expert opinion and acceptance by a shooting range expert

Which documents are required?

  • Certificate of competence
  • Proof of reliability
  • unlimited information from the Federal Central Register (§ 5 Abs. 5 Nr. 1 Waffengesetz (WaffG))
  • Statement of the local police station (§ 5 Abs. 5 Nr. 3 WaffG)
  • Proof of need, if applicable
  • Proof of suitability
  • Proof of liability
  • Proof of accident insurance
  • If applicable, required building permit and corresponding acceptance
  • If applicable, necessary permits or orders in accordance with building or immission control regulations

What are the fees?

There are fees according to Section I No. 1 of the Annex Schedule of Fees to the Costs Ordinance to the Weapons Act (WaffKostV). The competent authority shall provide information on the amount of the costs on request.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

In the case of fixed or mobile shooting ranges, a permit is required prior to commencement of use.

If permission has been granted for a shooting sports club and the reliability and suitability of a responsible person has been proven, after this person is no longer a member of the club, the club must report the departure of the person to the competent authority and appoint a new responsible person within two weeks and prove his reliability and suitability.


Possible legal recourse can be obtained from the responsible weapons authority.

Supporting institutions

  • Federal Central Register
  • Prosecution
  • Police station
  • Expert for shooting ranges
  • Building Code/Immission Control Authority
  • If applicable, Foreigners' Registration Office

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)