Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Authorisation for the commercial manufacture of weapons

Permission to manufacture, process or repair firearms or ammunition commercially or independently within the framework of an economic enterprise must be applied for at the weapons authority responsible for the place of business. It may be restricted to certain types of firearms and ammunition.

Permission is granted only to a natural person (sole proprietorship). In the case of legal entities, the responsible managing director or the individual personally liable partners each require permission.

If the arms manufacturing business is to be operated by a representative or if a person is entrusted with the management of a branch or a dependent branch, then a representative permit must be applied for for him.

The licence shall expire if the activity has not commenced within one year of the grant of the licence or has not been carried out for one year. The time limits may be extended for special reasons.

Process flow

You must apply in writing for a weapons manufacturing permit. The application must be submitted together with the necessary documents to the weapons authority responsible for the place of operation.

If you need a substitute during your absence, you must apply for a substitution permit for this person.

The personal interview of the applicant and the intended representative is usually required.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the district-free city, the large independent city and the independent municipality.

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by municipalities and the state for service providers.

Find your Point of Single Contact here


  • You are at least 18 years old.
  • They have the required reliability.
    The required reliability requires, above all, that you do not have a criminal record.
  • They possess personal aptitude.
    For example, those persons who have reasonable grounds to suspect that they are legally incapacitated, dependent on alcohol or mentally ill do not possess the required personal suitability.
  • You have the necessary expertise.
    You can obtain the necessary proof of specialist knowledge of the most important weapons and firearms regulations, the type, construction and handling of common firearms and ammunition through an examination. The specialist knowledge is considered to exist if you meet the requirements for the registration of a gunsmith's business in the register of craftsmen.
  • They prove the need for the issuance of a weapons manufacturing license.
  • You would like to manufacture weapons commercially or independently within the framework of an economic enterprise.
  • Deputies must meet the same requirements as you.

    The permit may be refused if you are not German within the meaning of Article 116 of the Basic Law or have neither your habitual residence nor a commercial establishment in Germany.

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card or passport
  • Proof of expertise (for persons who manage the business, a branch or a dependent branch themselves)
  • Business registration
  • in the case of artisanal operation: proof of entry in the register of craftsmen
  • Non-EU citizens: a residence permit entitling the holder to engage in self-employment
  • Proof of need for the issuance of the weapons permit
  • Proof of the safe storage of weapons and ammunition by means of appropriate certificates or safety-related reports

Section 26 (2) of the Insolvency Code (InsO)

Section 882b of the Code of Civil Procedure (ZPO)

What are the fees?

The exact costs can be communicated to you by the responsible weapons authority.

Cost Ordinance on the Weapons Act

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The licence expires if the licence holder has not commenced the activity within one year of the licence being granted or has not carried it out for one year. The time limits may be extended for special reasons.

The licence holder must notify the competent authority within two weeks of the commencement and cessation of operations as well as the opening and closure of a branch or a dependent branch.

Applications / forms

Application forms are available from the competent authority.


Please contact the competent authority for legal remedies.

What else should I know?

In the case of gunsmiths and bookmakers entered in the Register of Craftsmen, the weapons manufacturing licence includes the licence to trade in arms .

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)