Approval of packing centres for eggs
If you want to sort, pack and label eggs on your farm, you need approval as a packing centre before starting your activity.
A packing centre is an establishment where eggs are sorted by quality and weight grade, packed and the packs marked.
You will only receive admission if you meet the requirements stated under "Requirements". With the approval, you will also receive a packing centre identification number.
After you have submitted the application for approval to the State Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety, it will be checked for completeness and plausibility. This is followed by an operational inspection. If no objections are found, you will then receive admission to take up your activity.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the State Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety (LAVES), Department 43 - Market Surveillance.
If you want to pack eggs, you will need the following technical equipment to ensure proper handling:
- an automatic or permanent claw system enabling the quality of individual eggs to be checked or other appropriate equipment;
- a device for determining the height of the air chamber;
- a plant for grading eggs by weight;
- one or more calibrated scales for weighing eggs;
- devices for marking eggs.
Which documents are required?
- Application form for packing centres
- Map with the buildings belonging to the packing centre
- Floor plan with the rooms belonging to the packing station
- Current excerpt from the commercial register and/or business registration for the permanent establishment
What are the fees?
Fee: 35,00 EURPayment in advance: NoApproval without hygiene approval
Fee: 35,00 - 2500,00 EURPayment in advance: NoApproval with hygiene approval
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
You need authorisation before commencing your activity. Only after receipt may you pursue your activity.
Processing Time: 3 MonthsMaximum 3 months
You can file an action against the admission, rejection or fee notice with your competent administrative court.
What else should I know?
As a rule, you also need a hygiene permit for your packing station.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony State Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.