Application for entry in the list of architects on the basis of a special award according to § 8 Abs. 2 NArchtG (Genieregelung)
The professional title "architect" may only be used by those who are entered under this respective name in the list of architects of the Chamber of Architects of Lower Saxony, the corresponding directory in another federal state or the directory of external service providers. The same applies to word combinations with the job title or similar designations. The relevant regulations can be found in particular in § 1 of the Lower Saxony Architects Act (NArchtG).
In order to protect consumers, this ensures that only sufficiently qualified planners practise the profession and that they comply with certain professional rules. However, such protection of the professional title makes it necessary for the Chamber of Architects to require the persons to register proof of their qualifications. The qualification can be demonstrated, inter alia, by the fact that the applicant has distinguished himself particularly by the quality of his achievements in the field of architecture.
With the registration you become a member of the Chamber. Associated with the membership is the building template authorization according to § 53 Abs. 3 Nr. 1 Niedersächsische Bauordnung (NBauO).
Type of employment
The entry in the list of architects takes place depending on your activity in one of the following four types of employment:
- Active in the construction industry
- civil servants
An application for registration must be submitted in writing or online using the form provided. The supporting documents referred to in 'Required documents' shall be attached to the application.
The procedure is essentially regulated in § 12 NArchtG.
Who should I contact?
Chamber of Architects of Lower Saxony
Registration in accordance with § 8 Abs. 2 NArchtG is possible under the following conditions:
- The applicant has distinguished himself particularly by the quality of his achievements in the field of architecture and has proven this by his own work or a certificate from a competent body of another Member State of the European Union, another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or a State treated as such by agreements.
- Place of residence, professional establishment or place of work in Lower Saxony
For registration in the type of employment "freelance":
- Proof of sufficient professional indemnity insurance
Which documents are required?
The application must be accompanied by documents relating to the following areas:
- Submission of own works in the field of architecture
- own publications in the field of architecture
- For applicants from the EU, the EEA or equivalent countries: if necessary, certificate of the special award abroad
- Evidence of formal qualifications (if available)
- foreign applicants: copy of identity card or passport as proof of nationality
- Type of employment
- For freelance applicants:
Proof of professional indemnity insurance
In detail, these are the following documents and evidence:
All documents in non-German must be accompanied by a translation, which must be confirmed by a publicly appointed and sworn translator.
• Submission of own works
For the objects mentioned in the application, self-prepared planning documents must be submitted, from which it follows that the applicant has distinguished himself particularly by the quality of his services in the field of architecture.
• Publications of the applicant in the field of architecture
• For applicants from a member state of the EU or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or a country treated as such by agreements:
if applicable, certificate from the competent authority of the country of origin on the special award in the field of architecture in accordance with Article 48(2) of Directive 2005/36/EC (Professional Recognition Directive)
• Evidence of formal qualifications (if available)
• Foreign applicants:
Copy of identity card or passport as proof of nationality
Type of employment
- The type of freelance employment must be proven by a certificate from the tax consultant, the tax office or the office partner(s).
- The type of employment employed is proven by a certificate from the employer. Unemployed applicants submit a certificate from the Employment Agency, if necessary a copy of the approval notice.
- Official applicants submit a copy of their certificate of appointment and a current certificate from the employer on the nature of the activity.
- Applicants working in the construction industry submit a business registration or an extract from the commercial register with a list of shareholders.
For freelance applicants
Proof of continuous professional indemnity insurance
Registration presupposes that the applicant has a place of residence or a professional establishment in Lower Saxony or exercises the profession in whole or in part, but not only temporarily and occasionally, in Lower Saxony (§ 5 para. 1 no. 1 NArchtG).
What are the fees?
Registration fee: EUR 285.00
If you do not use the fully electronic application procedure including the online payment function, please enclose a receipt, e.B. printout of the transfer in online banking about the payment, with your registration application. The bank details are:
Nord/LB Hannover: BIC NOLADE2HXXX - IBAN: DE55 2505 0000 0101 4747 81
Commerzbank Hannover: BIC COBADEFFXXX - IBAN: DE97 2504 0066 0338 8345
The following payment methods are possible online:
- Credit card
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines to be observed.
In of the rule 4 – 8 weeks; maximum 3 months, in exceptional cases up to 4 months (cf. § 12 NArchtG)
Possibility of bringing an action before the Administrative Court of Hanover
What else should I know?
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Chamber of Architects of Lower Saxony.