European Patent Attorney Grant Partial access to the profession of patent attorney
European patent attorneys whose entitlement to practise as patent attorneys in their home country is limited to some of the areas of law in which patent attorneys may practise in Germany may also practise the profession of patent attorney in Germany with the restriction to these areas of law.
Who should I contact?
The competence lies with the German Patent and Trade Mark Office.
the differences between their activity and that of a patent attorney in Germany are so great that balancing them would be equivalent to the requirement to acquire the qualification for the profession of patent attorney pursuant to Section 5 (2) of the German Patent Attorney Act (PAO).
their activities can be separated from the other activities to be performed by a patent attorney in Germany,
there are no overriding reasons in the public interest preventing the provision of its activities in Germany, and
they have been admitted as patent attorneys by the Chamber of Patent Attorneys.
Which documents are required?
- Original or copy of evidence of formal qualifications or evidence of formal qualifications within the meaning of Article 11(b), (c), (d) or (e) of Directive 2005/36/EC on the recognition of professional qualifications, as last amended by Directive 2013/55/EU
- CV in tabular form in German
- limited to those areas for which there is an entitlement in the country of origin: proof that more than half of the training period was carried out in a Member State or certificate of professional practice
- a statement as to whether an application pursuant to § 1 EuPAG paragraph 1 has ever been filed or an aptitude test has been taken;
- if applicable, proof that differences pursuant to § 2 EuPAG para. 3 sentence 1 nos. 1 and 2 have been fully compensated
What are the fees?
Fees may apply. Please contact the relevant authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.
Processing Time: 1 MonthAcknowledgement
Processing Time: 0 - 4 MonthsDecision on the application
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Justice
Professionally released on
List ID 843 (whitelist; Status: 13.09.2018)
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.