Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Patent Attorney Admission as In-House Patent Attorney

An in-house patent attorney exercises his/her profession if he/she is entrusted with the performance of tasks pursuant to § 3 paragraphs 2 and 3 of the German Patent Attorney Act (PAO) and § 4 of the Tax Consultancy Act (StBerG) within the scope of his/her employment relationship for his/her employer.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Patent Bar Association.

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by municipalities and the state for service providers.

§§ 41b paragraph 2, 31 Patent Attorney Act (PAO)

Find your Point of Single Contact

Which documents are required?

  • Copy of the patent assessornurkunde,
  • copies of academic degrees and titles or publicly certified copies if academic degrees and titles are not included in the patent assessor certificate,
  • if applicable, proof of six years of experience with a freelance patent attorney in accordance with § 5 paragraph 2 of the German Patent Attorney Code (PAO),
  • a copy or a certified copy of the employment contract or contracts;
  • the competent authority may require the submission of further evidence.

Section 5 (2) of the German Patent Attorney Act (PAO)

What are the fees?

Fees are charged in accordance with § 145 of the German Patent Attorney Act (PAO) in conjunction with the fee regulations of the competent authority.

§ 145 Patent Attorney Code (PAO)

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 3 Months

Section 30 (2) of the German Patent Attorney Act (PAO)

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Justice

Professionally released on



List ID 840 (whitelist; Status: 13.09.2018)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)