Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Register of craftsmen Registration by granting a right to exercise according to § 7b HwO

For the independent operation of a trade subject to authorisation of Appendix A to the Crafts Code (HwO) as a standing trade, a registration in the craft roll is required.

Without a master craftsman's examination, the applicant or the farm manager may be granted the right to exercise in accordance with §7b of the Crafts Code (HwO) by the competent authority. In addition, the granting of an exemption permit could be considered.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Chamber of Crafts, in whose district the (future) permanent establishment is located.  

This procedure can also be handled through a "point of single contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.

Find your Point of Single Contact here


  • The applicant has a
    • have relevant training as a journeyman or skilled worker and
    • have carried out at least six years of practical activity in the craft trade, at least four years in a managerial position.
    • Exceptions: chimney sweeping, health crafts

Which documents are required?

  • Certificate of the journeyman's examination / skilled worker examination (craft / specialisation)
  • Evidence of journeyman years in this craft or related craft
  • Proof of managerial activities (e.B. detailed certificates, job descriptions) that independent decision-making powers (of what kind: personnel, business, technical, commercial and legal) were transferred.
  • Certificates of other courses and examinations (e.B. final examination at a university or university of applied sciences, technician, industrial master, specialist courses and courses)

What are the fees?

Fees apply in accordance with the scale of fees of the competent authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)

Further Links

Single points of contact of the state of Lower Saxony, Single points of contact of the countries of Europe, advice and assistance for EU citizens and their families.