Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for permission to sell goods at trade fairs, festivals and special occasions

If you would like to offer goods for immediate sale on the occasion of a trade fair or exhibition, a public festival (e.g. community festival, shooting festival, inauguration ceremonies, etc.) or as part of another special occasion, you need a permit from the competent authority, but not a travel trade card.

You must apply for the permit from the competent authority.

If you are already in possession of an itinerant trade card, which entitles you to offer certain or all goods for sale, this is sufficient. In this case, you no longer need an additional permit to sell on the occasion of the mentioned events.

After applying for a permit, the competent authority will decide whether to approve your application to sell the goods. The competent authority grants permission for a certain place and for a specific event, i.e. for a limited period.

The permit is non-transferable. It does not replace any other permits and permits that may have to be obtained from other authorities (e.g. permits under road or road traffic law – special use permit).

If the following goods are to be offered for sale on the occasion of the above-mentioned events, no permit is required (as a permit or exemption on another basis already exists):

  • They sell home-grown products from agriculture and forestry, vegetable, fruit and horticulture, poultry breeding and beekeeping, as well as hunting and fishing.
  • You sell goods in the municipality in which you are registered as a resident or in which you have registered your commercial establishment. However, this exception applies only if the municipality does not have more than 10 000 inhabitants.
  • They sell milk and, if necessary, additional dairy products (e.g. yoghurt, kefir, butter, cheese, etc.) and still have a licence under the Milk and Margarine Act.
  • They sell food or other goods for daily use from a sales cart or a sales stand ("mobile shop") and do so outside of fixed markets (e.g. weekly markets) at regular, shorter intervals always at the same place.
  • They sell printed works on public paths, streets, squares or other public places. According to the Press Act, the term "printed works" includes writings, discussed sound recordings (e.g. cassettes and other data carriers), pictorial representations with and without writing, image carriers (video cassettes and other data carriers) and music (printed matter with sheet music) with text and explanations. However, you need a permit to sell such products at your doorstep.

The sale of the goods you wish to offer must not be prohibited in the itinerant trade.

Process flow

  • You apply for the permit from the competent authority, attaching the necessary documents
  • You will be notified of the authority's decision in text form or in writing


  • You want to offer goods (not services) at a specific event or occasion. The sale of the goods you wish to offer must not be prohibited in the travel trade (e.g. precious metals, precious stones, alcohol are prohibited – with certain exceptions).
  • You offer the goods at the event itself, or at least on the sidelines of the event in question. There must therefore be a temporal and spatial connection to the event (e.g. on the forecourt or the access roads).

Which documents are required?

  • Copy of identity card or passport with registration certificate, or presentation on site
  • Information on the location and type of sales stand as well as the range of goods

What are the fees?

Depends on the respective administrative fee schedule of the state or on the fee statutes of the competent authorities under state law.

Fees are charged in accordance with Annex 1 to ³1 paragraph 1 of the General Fee Schedule of the State of Lower Saxony (AllGO) in accordance with No.

The fee can go up to €438.

Applications / forms

  • Written form required: no
  • Online procedure possible: yes
  • Personal appearance required: no


  • Objection (depending on state law, the objection may be excluded)
  • Administrative Court Action

What else should I know?

If you are already in possession of an itinerant trade card, which entitles you to offer certain goods or goods of all kinds, you do not also need the permission of the competent authority if you want to offer corresponding goods for sale at trade fairs, exhibitions, public festivals or on special occasions.

The trade licence does not replace any permits or permits required under other specialist law (e.g. road law).

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)