Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for permission to sell goods at trade fairs, festivals and special occasions

You would like to use goods for a special occasion, such as a public festival, a trade fair or a market, if you are on the occasion of a trade fair or exhibition, a market (for example, a fair, Christmas market, etc.), in the context of public events or festivals (for example, community festival, shooting festival, inauguration celebrations) or during another comparable event
If you want to offer goods for immediate sale, you do not need a travel trade card if you have permission from the competent authority for this.

A permit is sufficient, which you must apply for at the competent authority. If you are already in possession of a travel trade card, this is sufficient. In this case, you do not need any additional permission.

After applying for a permit, the competent authority decides whether it agrees to your application to sell the goods. The competent authority shall grant permission

  • for a specific location and
  • limited in time for a specific event

Permission is not transferable. It does not replace any other permits and permits that may need to be obtained from other authorities (for example, road or road traffic permits – special use permits).

In certain cases, you do not need a travel trade card or any other trade permit for the sale of goods at the above-mentioned events. This applies to the following cases:

  • They sell self-obtained products from agriculture and forestry, vegetable, fruit and horticulture, poultry breeding and beekeeping, as well as hunting and fishing.
  • You sell goods in the municipality where you are registered with your place of residence or in which you have registered your commercial establishment. However, this exception only applies if the municipality has no more than 10,000 inhabitants.
  • They sell milk and, if necessary, additionally dairy products (for example, yoghurt, kefir, butter, cheese) and still have a permit under the Milk and Margarine Act.
  • They sell food or other everyday goods from a sales cart or a sales stand ("mobile shop") and do so outside of fixed markets (for example, weekly markets) at regular, shorter intervals in the same place.
  • They sell printed works on public roads, streets, squares or other public places. According to the Press Act, the term printed works includes writings, discussed sound carriers (e.g. cassettes and other data carriers), pictorial representations with and without writing, image carriers (video cassettes and other data carriers) and musical materials (printed products with sheet music) with text and explanations. For the sale of corresponding products at the front door, however, you need a permit.

Process flow

  • You apply for the permit informally together with the necessary documents to the competent authority.
  • The decision of the authority will be communicated to you by e-mail or by post.


  • You want to offer goods (not services) at a specific event or occasion.
  • The sale of the goods you wish to offer must not be prohibited in the travel industry (for example, precious metals, precious stones, alcohol are prohibited – with certain exceptions)
  • They offer the goods at the event itself, but at least on the fringes of the event in question. There must therefore be a temporal and spatial connection to the event (for example, on the forecourt or the access roads).

Which documents are required?

  • Copy of the identity card or passport with registration certificate, or presentation on site.
  • Information on the location and type of sales stand as well as the range of goods.

What are the fees?

The costs are based on the respective administrative fee regulations of the state or on the fee statutes of the authorities responsible under state law.

§ 1 Abs 1 i.V.m.dem Cost Tariff (Annex to § 1 Abs. 1) AllGO

Processing duration

- Form: no

- Written form required: no

- Online procedure possible: yes

- Personal appearance required: no

Applications / forms

  • Written form required: no
  • Online procedure possible: yes
  • Personal appearance required: no

What else should I know?

If you are already in possession of a travel trade card that entitles you to sell certain goods, you do not also need the permission of the competent authority if you want to offer corresponding goods for sale at the event of trade fairs, exhibitions, markets or public festivals.
The trade permit does not replace any permits or permits required by other specialist law (e.g. road law).

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)

Further Links

Single points of contact of the state of Lower Saxony, Single points of contact of the countries of Europe, advice and assistance for EU citizens and their families.