Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Be exempted from the requirement of expertise according to the Chemicals Ozone Layer Ordinance

In order to work on technical equipment that uses ozone-depleting substances, you must provide a certificate of expertise.

For the certificate of competence, you normally complete a course followed by an examination of expertise. The proficiency test is offered by state-approved, private providers as well as by public bodies such as chambers of industry and commerce or chambers of crafts.

In order to be admitted to the expert examination in certain categories, you must provide proof of completed technical or craft training. The Chamber of Industry and Commerce or the Chamber of Crafts and Crafts can exempt you from this requirement if you can prove that you have acquired the prescribed manual skills elsewhere. You apply for exemption from the requirement of training in writing to your Chamber of Industry and Commerce or Chamber of Crafts and Crafts. 

The exemption from the requirement of training is a procedure that depends very much on the individual case, which is why you should inform yourself about your options before submitting an application to the Chamber of Industry and Commerce or the Chamber of Crafts and Crafts. 

Process flow

You apply for exemption from the requirement of craft or technical training in writing to an IHK or HWK. Since the exemption depends very much on your personal requirements, you should seek advice from the Chamber beforehand. 

  • The Chamber will check whether you meet the requirements even if you do not have a professional qualification. 
  • You will receive a certificate of exemption from craft or technical training. 

Now you can take the proficiency exam and, after passing, start working on air conditioners of the appropriate category. 

Who should I contact?


  • You meet the requirements for entry in the register of craftsmen
  • Alternatively, you can otherwise prove that you are qualified to practice a trade
  • If you have any other documents, please contact the chamber where you would like to apply for the exemption

Which documents are required?

  • Copy of identity card
  • Proof of qualifying professional activities

What are the fees?

Costs apply. The exact height is determined by the chambers themselves. 

Processing duration

  • The processing time depends heavily on the individual case and cannot be given as a general rule

Legal basis

§ 5 paragraph 4 of the Chemicals Ozone Layer Ordinance (ChemOzonSchichtV)

Applications / forms

  • Forms: Recognition form of the respective chamber
  • Online procedure possible: partial
  • Written form requirement: no
  • Personal appearance required: no


  • Objection.
  • In some federal states: contradiction.  
    Detailed information on how to file an objection can be found in the notification of your application. 
  • Administrative court action

Further information on expertise according to the Chemicals Climate Protection Ordinance can be found here: Brochure of the DIHK

Technically approved by

Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce

Professionally released on


Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)