Type approval for playground equipment
Playground equipment with the possibility of winning may only be set up if the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt has approved its design. The manufacturer of the playground equipment must apply for this type approval at the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt. The type approval is limited to 1 year.
If the design of the playground equipment is approved, the applicant will receive a certificate of approval. The applicant will receive a certificate of approval for each replica of the approved type The certificate of approval contains the name of the playground equipment, the name and place of residence of the licence holder, the beginning and end of the installation period and information on regulations that must be observed when operating the playground equipment.
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt announces the approval of a design as well as the modifications, revocation or withdrawal of approvals on its website.
The authorisation must be withdrawn or revoked if:
- reasons for failure subsequently become known, or
- the applicant has altered the approved playground equipment to the characteristics specified in the registration certificate.
Who should I contact?
The requirements for the approval of playground equipment are regulated in §§ 12, 13 and 14 of the Gaming Ordinance (SpielV). Section 14 of the Gaming Ordinance applies to gaming machines, according to which some of the same requirements apply that must also be observed for the approval of gaming machines.
Which documents are required?
The application must be submitted in writing with the applicant's signature to the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt.
The following documents must be attached to the application:
- Description of the playground equipment
- Blueprint of the playground equipment
- Operating instructions
- Technical description of the components of the playground equipment
- a sample device, which should be complete and functional and suitable for series production
- written declaration by the manufacturer that the playground equipment to be tested fulfils the requirements set out in Section 12 (2) of the Gaming Ordinance
Supplementary technical descriptions may be submitted in electronic form
At the request of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, further documents must be submitted. A detailed list and description of the documents can be found in Appendix 2 of the Technical Guideline published by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt.
What are the fees?
The fees for admission depend on the processing time:
- Hourly rate: EUR 47.00 – 67.00
- for the issuance of a registration document including the registration mark as well as for the exchange: EUR 15.00
- In addition, expenses (e.g. for copies) and expenses incurred by requested supplementary work must be reimbursed
The processing time from the submission of the application to the decision depends on:
- the quality of the documents submitted and the type model,
- the need for change identified during the audit, and
the number of applications to be processed
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt has published a technical guideline on its website. In Part 3 of this Guideline, you will find detailed information on the exact procedure, a detailed description of the required documents (Appendix 2) and a sample application (Appendix 1).
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
Professionally released on